DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HD100 split screen in lowlight issue.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/104055-hd100-split-screen-lowlight-issue.html)

Steven Houser September 21st, 2007 08:31 AM

HD100 split screen in lowlight issue....

Has anyone had this problem?and is there a fix for it besides sending to JVC?

Earl Thurston September 21st, 2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Houser (Post 747847)
Has anyone had this problem?and is there a fix for it besides sending to JVC?

Try changing the settings on your camera so nothing is "auto" (other than iris, which is actually a lens function). This includes all the settings in the image menus, including knee. Also, try using one of the preset white balances (3200K or 5600K) rather than balancing against a white card.

My camera exhibited terrible split screen when I first got it, but the only thing I ever did was change all the settings to fixed values and I haven't seen it since.

My theory (and no one else has confirmed this yet, unfortunately) is that if the camera circuitry is left to make any adjustments on-the-fly, the left and right sides sometimes don't match; but if everything is set to a fixed value, both sides are calibrated the same. (e.g. No interpretation is needed based on what the camera is seeing.)

It would be great to hear if you can make the split screen go away with just this. I'd be happy because it would confirm my theory, rather than just being a lucky fluke that my camera "cured itself" over time. :)

William Hess September 22nd, 2007 11:37 AM

If it's happening often, then you'll need to send it in to JVC so they can calibrate your A/D converters.

If it happens once every six months like it does on mine, then I believe that's normal. JVC does mention that it can happen under rare circumstances.

Alex Humphrey September 28th, 2007 06:08 PM

Biggest things I did, was to

1. make sure that my black stretch/compress was off, that is to say normal
2. set my gain H (in my sub menue) to max 15 instead of Max 17 or what ever the theortical maximum is.
3. let the camera warm up for 5 minutes before I start to tape.

split screen disapeared.

Brian Luce September 28th, 2007 11:43 PM

A decent warm up seemed to cure mine.

Jim Andrada September 29th, 2007 12:48 AM

Doesn't JVC recommend a five minute warm-up to minimize the split screen problem???

Tim Dashwood September 29th, 2007 03:11 AM

There are different ways to minimize it in a pinch, but the best solution is just to get the camera properly calibrated if the SSE is causing problems with the way you normally shoot.

I used to be able to get rid of mine by lowering the master black to -2, but then I had the camera properly calibrated and I haven't thought about SSE since.

Federico Aragon October 1st, 2007 05:06 PM

Does anyone know how much it costs to calibrate the SSE or basically fix the split screen?

I live in California and probably will have to go to Irvine to have it calibrated, just wanted to check if anyone knows.

BTW, I think it sucks that JVC let this slip thru the cracks and we now have to pay for this (and NO, my cam is not on warranty anymore)

Thanks!

Alex Humphrey October 1st, 2007 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Federico Aragon (Post 752810)
Does anyone know how much it costs to calibrate the SSE or basically fix the split screen?

I live in California and probably will have to go to Irvine to have it calibrated, just wanted to check if anyone knows.

BTW, I think it sucks that JVC let this slip thru the cracks and we now have to pay for this (and NO, my cam is not on warranty anymore)

Thanks!

do you get the split screen after warm up, and with the gain not set at the highest 18db but a lower setting? If so then you might want to contact JVC service and find out. I think the the HD100A models on had no issues once they were warmed up. Mine (HD110) does in the first 3 minutes at 18db+ but at 15+ cold it doesn't show. and warmed up the 18db+ pretty much dissapears.. not that I shoot much (anything other than the original test) at that much gain. Make sure your Black stretch is off/normal.

Federico Aragon October 10th, 2007 12:50 PM

Thanks Alex,

I have the HD110U (A), so I guess I have the latest revision and firmware for my camera.
I usually warm up my camera for at least 5 minutes while checking back-focus, setting up aperture, shutter speed, etc.

Do I really need to take it to JVC or just go with the settings let the camera warm up and call it a day?

Thanks!