Is the 250 worth it compared to the HPX500 pricewise? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 24th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Is the 250 worth it compared to the HPX500 pricewise?

I require a shouldermount HD camcorder with HD-SDI. I've looked at both the Panasonic HPX500 and the JVC GY250. Both seem to be great cameras. However, for the price difference, I wonder if the 250 is worth it. The MSRP of the GY250 body is $10,995 and the HPX500 is $14,000. For $3000 more, you get 2/3" vs. 1/3" and DVCPROHD vs HDV. Other then lens prices that get added to this, is the 250 really worth it compared to the HPX500?
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Trustee

There is a distinctive size difference and a different work flow. I think for many when analyzing how the camera will be used, there is a greater difference in them than may be readily apparent.

I also think the price difference on a complete setup is a bit more than you suggest. Here are some packages from Panasonic:
http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...odel=AG-HPX500

But then, price is pretty relative. It reminds me of a Canon demo of the XL-H1 when it came out. There were two groups of people looking at the camera: the first was the little guy who wondered if it was worth trying to scrape together so much money for the camera; the second were the guys wondering if you could get a decent picture out of something so cheap, but hey, you could get three, throw them in the studio and hook them up to the switcher and see what the engineer said, since they were so cheap.

Besides the P2 and the 2/3 inch lens, and the price difference, the Panasonic is definitely much larger than the JVC.

And if you are buying 3 of them for studio use with the SDI, the price starts to add up.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #3
Major Player

The 2/3" chips will really come in to their own in low-light. Is that important to you? In good light, the 250 will make great images though.

Then way up the workflow in relation to your needs and post production environment.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems