JVC GZ-HD7 as a “B camera” at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #1
HDV Cinema

JVC GZ-HD7 as a “B camera”

There are several reasons why those shooting 720p50/720p60 or 720p25/720p30 with JVC’s ProHD camcorders are interested in using the JVC GZ-HD7 as a “B camera.”

First, the HD7’s harddisk can record up to 5-hours of 1920x1080 video. This is ideal for unattended operation.

Second, the HD7 employs CCDs, which makes it a better match to JVC ProHD cameras than are CMOS-based camcorders.

Third, the HD7 records to SD cards and so can run silent and run under severe conditions. Like on a hang-glider or boat mast.

The GZ-HD7 Handbook has a Chapter devoted to the conversion of 1080i50 or 1080i60 to 720p50 or 720p60.

The GZ-HD7 Handbook is available for download from knowledge-download.com at:

http://www.knowledge-download.com/JVCHD7/index.html

Last edited by Steve Mullen; September 28th, 2007 at 01:56 AM.
Steve Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen View Post
There are several reasons why those shooting 720p50/720p60 or 720p25/720p30 with JVC’s ProHD camcorders are interested in using the JVC GZ-HD7 as a “B camera.”

First, the HD7’s harddisk can record up to 5-hours of 1920x1080 video. This is ideal for unattended operation.

Second, the HD7 employs CCDs, which makes it a better match to JVC ProHD cameras than are CMOS-based camcorders.

The GZ-HD7 Handbook has a Chapter devoted to the conversion of 1080i50 or 1080i60 to 720p50 or 720p60.

The GZ-HD7 Handbook is available for download from knowledge-download.com at:

http://www.knowledge-download.com/JVCHD7/index.html
Has anyone actually tried mixing them? With what kind of results?
Looks like they sell for aourd 1000 USD.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Correct, but the problem is, it is hard disk based so you will have to archive the footage somehow which often means going back to tape after post production is complete. No time saved.

Second, every review I've read states that the Canon HV20 has a nicer picture plus it's HDV, which is a codec that most modern editing suites can ingest.

H.264 is really slow for editing.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #4
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco View Post
Correct, but the problem is, it is hard disk based so you will have to archive the footage somehow which often means going back to tape after post production is complete. No time saved.

Second, every review I've read states that the Canon HV20 has a nicer picture plus it's HDV, which is a codec that most modern editing suites can ingest.

H.264 is really slow for editing.
1) The JVC uses MPEG-2 not H.264.

Edits just like HDV because it *is* HDV when the HD7 is run in its 1440CBR mode. I use FireWire xfer into FCP, but most other NLEs import the files. (They also support 1920x1080 editing, which FCP doesn't.)

2) The Canon is a single hi-rez CMOS which may indeed look "better," but it clearly looks "different" than do three CCDs. So the match is much easier to make with JVC. And, that of course, is the goal with a B camera.

Moreover, the Canon doesn't have full manual control. Fine for a consumer, but frustrating for anyone using a ProHD camcorder. Again, one wants a B camera that "feels" right.

3) Looking at my post, I see the issue of time-savings was never mentioned. Just like solid-state recording, it may or may not save time. All depends on your needs. Also, in general, a B camera isn't producing lots of footage so time savings is not the goal.

I did forgot to add -- the HD7 also records to SD cards and so can run silent and run under severe conditions. Like on a hang-glider or boat mast.

4) Yes I've mixed them. The HD7 is more saturated, but since one has a range of saturation levels with the ProHD camcorders, they could be made to match. I found it easier to match in post.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I use a HD7 as B cam, no issues at all unless you use it hand held, where it becomes a bit of a problem. The image stabilizer is a bit lacking. Tripod best there then.

I use it in full HD mode, never tried it in 1440 cbr. As Steve says, its slightly more satuated but not so much so and is easily corrected in post.

I even used it as a backup when I had a minor power up issue on my HD110E

I also use a Firestore so I dont worry too much about tape, although I do use tape as a back up. My NLE is Avid/Pinnacle Liquid which imports the HD7 files natively provided they are renamed to .m2t instead of .TOD

Hope that helps

Ian
Ian Broadbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:00 AM   #6
Major Player

How is Final Cut 5.0 with mixing the footage? Do I have to render the "B" camera footage since it's 1080i? Will I have to upgrade to FCP 6?
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems