DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   110 on back order (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/104771-110-back-order.html)

Jerry Jesion October 1st, 2007 04:11 PM

110 on back order

I have just ordered a 110 from B&H. It seems to be on backorder everywhere. Anyone have any idea why, or when it will be available?

Regards,
Jerry

Jim Andrada October 5th, 2007 12:07 AM

I just ordered one as well - also from B&H. They're closed for a couple of more days so I haven't checked my order status.

I'd also like to know when I can expect to get it.

JVC has a promotion going to get a free Anton Bauer battery set, but I think they have to have the paperwork (including the UPC) by end of October, so I hope it doesn't take too long to get, as the promo was an incentive for me to order the camera now instead of later.

Jerry Jesion October 5th, 2007 05:14 AM

Jim,
Yeah, I just looked at the rebate form and it has to reach JVC by October 15! I hope that those who ordered the camera late in September can get some more time to submit it.

Regards,
Jerry

Jim Andrada October 5th, 2007 02:54 PM

Jerry,

By the way, where else did you look for the camera besides B&H that said it was backordered?

I'm thinking if we contact JVC about the probem ahead of time it might be better than just sending the form in late and having them not honor it.

Also, anyone else in the same situation???

Safety in numbers, so to speak.

Jerry Jesion October 5th, 2007 03:29 PM

Jim,
I think that I called FullCompass. I did send a note to JVC via their web page today about the issue, but have not received a response as of yet. If B&H cannot get the camera to me in time I will most likely cancel the order and wait for the AB offer again. I am surprised that there is so little time after the offer expires to return the form.

Regards,
Jerry

Terry VerHaar October 5th, 2007 11:44 PM

Shortage of 110s??

In a post a couple of weeks ago I posed the same question...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=103856

The info I got back suggested a government entity had placed an order for "several hundred" 110s which caused just about every dealer to be out of stock. In my own success story, I had a previous customer relationship with Tapeworks Texas who just happened to have some on order with one unit "unspoken for." My luck - I just received my 110 (Thanks sooo much, Scott!) but for most people I think the issue of the large order depleting the stock is what has to work through the system. If you've got the money, maybe the 200? Or I'll part with my 110 for $10K! :-) (Maybe)

Jerry Jesion October 7th, 2007 02:37 PM

Just called B&H and the cameras are in stock. Opted to pay another $42 for 2nd day air and I should have it on Wednesday the 10th. That should be enough time to get the rebate form to JVC. (I hope!)

Regards,
Jerry

Brian Luce October 7th, 2007 02:50 PM

which entity has a need for hundreds of hd100's?

Terry Nixon October 8th, 2007 12:23 PM

Dept of Defense

Jim Andrada October 8th, 2007 12:53 PM

Or maybe the guys who want to do face recognition of people getting off of airplanes. But DOD is most likely.

Maybe they've discovered that they can drop a JVC 110 from 17000 feet and it's better than an explosive device - and probably a lot cheaper. Hey, it doesn't sound as bad as the idea they had of strapping tiny incenidary devices to the legs of anaesthetized bats and dropping them out of airplanes hoping they'd wake up en route and fly away and nest under the eaves of houses. One of my Chemistry professors was involved wih testing this idea during WW II. He was the inventor of Napalm and got involved in various "applications" of same.

By the way, I talked to B&H today and also moved up the shipping speed on my unit - it should ship today.

Henry Posner October 8th, 2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 755624)
which entity has a need for hundreds of hd100's?

There's an anecdote in Grateful Dead Gear by Blair Jackson -- apparently the Dead had cornered the market for McIntosh amps and the Dept of Defense wanted/needed some for (they claimed) some sonar stuff they were doing and begged the Dead to cut a few loose. The Dead declined and we got to hear clean licks instead of the dull ping of submarines. Could be apocryphal, but it's a fact the Dead used a dozen+ Mcintosh 3500s back in the day.

Jim Andrada October 12th, 2007 11:45 AM

Just to be sure, I FedEx'ed the forms to JVC for the Anton Bauer promotion.

I noticed on the FedEx tracking info that you can get a copy of the signature of the receiving party. I printed it out and I now have proof that the package got to them. Maybe I'm paranoid (Maybe???) but I think the more proof one has lying about the better when it comes to rebate offers etc.

Now all I have to do is sit back and wait - and keep my battery charger nearby - I burned through a fully charged battery just with initial playing around and getting back focus adjusted. I'm kind of amazed that they'd include such a wimpy battery with this camera - oh well, guess they have to keep the price down.

Very favorably impressed with the camera so far, although it won't get much of a workout until I get the battery set from JVC

Jerry Jesion October 12th, 2007 01:26 PM

Jim,
It's to laugh! I did exactly the same thing! I did order the 438 battery tho. I will be needing to use the camera before the AB battery stuff arrives.

I am somewhat dissapointed with the low light performance of the camera. But can probably muddle thru going to 1/30 sec shutter.....

Regards,
Jerry

Jim Andrada October 14th, 2007 12:14 AM

Jerry,

Yeah, I'm lucky in that I have no immediate need for the camera - I would have waited until around the end of the year, but the deal on the A/B battery seemed good enough to get me to spring for it sooner - which is why they have promotions I guess.

Actually, it's more than a guess - I spent a lot of years in IBM's sales & marketing HQ and was also responsible for IBM storage marketing in Asia for several years and the main reasons we used promotions were to goose sales in the short term to make our numbers or to stimulate interest in a slow moving product - perhaps one that was getting a bit stale in the market. And occasionally we used them for the opposite effect, namely to incent people to switch to a new product from a popular old product that they were using.

Accelerated realization of revenue is a big deal!

Jerry Jesion October 22nd, 2007 06:26 PM

What service!

Just got my AB battery system. JVC received my documentation on Friday October 12! I wasn't expecting the battery until December. Way to go JVC!!

Regards,
Jerry

P.S. noticed that they extended the offer until March 2008.