how to adjust the evolution wireless sennheiser at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 5th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

how to adjust the evolution wireless sennheiser

Hi everyone, I just got the evolution sennheiser wireless set and I want to ask if someone uses it and knows what are the optimal settings conserning sensitivity on the transmitter and AF out on the receiver. Any info would be very much appreciated as I am going for a long shooting on the 9th. I am planning to use a small mixer that I have, from ASDN, 2 channels if this changes something.
Thank you.
Panos Bournias
Panos Bournias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #2
Major Player

This helped me get started after I got my set.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...bctid187745393

There is a tutorial there for the G2 (if you have the original I am not sure how similar they are if at all)
Old October 5th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

re- adjusting the G2

Thanks Josh, this was really helpful.
Panos
Old October 7th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #4
Major Player

After watching the tutorial, I've reduced the squelch to LOW, I guess I could get a few extra feet of range this way, but it seems like a choice between silent dropouts and loud dropout hiss. I guess it's a wash either way on this system.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #5

I haven't watched the tutorial, but, I can tell you what I've found with the Senn G2. First, it's highly sensitive to stray RF emissions. This will REALLY limit your range. There are 2 things you can do to reduce stray RF.
1-keep the xmitter away from any known sources. Cameras(!), audio recorders, and anything digital uses oscillators that generate RF. If you can't remove RF sources, try shielding from them with something like tin foil.
2-Use the scan frequency button on the xmitter and receiver. The unit will pick a frequency with the lowest interference.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
I haven't watched the tutorial, but, I can tell you what I've found with the Senn G2. First, it's highly sensitive to stray RF emissions. This will REALLY limit your range. There are 2 things you can do to reduce stray RF.
1-keep the xmitter away from any known sources. Cameras(!), audio recorders, and anything digital uses oscillators that generate RF. If you can't remove RF sources, try shielding from them with something like tin foil.
2-Use the scan frequency button on the xmitter and receiver. The unit will pick a frequency with the lowest interference.
You can also adjust the squelch which will eliminate most RF noise. By default the G2 is set to wide open which allows any noise to enter but if you adjust the squelch you'll eliminate most RF noise but limit your range.

S.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #7

The squelch control works on the noise in the xmitted audio. Even weak RF, generated in external sources, will effectively jam signal reception, regardless of the squelch setting, if the external RF frequency is close to the frequency of the transmitter, or a harmonic of, the receive frequency.
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #8
Trustee

Squelch seems to be effective in cutting interference to a minimum in my experience with G2.

S.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #9

Stephen...

I think we're saying two different things. Yes, I agree with you completely. Neverttheless, squelch is an internal electronic process that has no effect on the strength of external RF sources. If you have an external RF source at a frequency close to the xmit/receive freq, it will JAM the signal and you'll receive absolutely nothing. Same effect as turning the squelch up all the way, but, different physics going on. It's possible that the lowest setting of squelch, doesn't turn squelch off, just reduces it to a lower level. Any external RF noise is enough to trigger even the lowest squelch setting on the G2.

The G2 also has a circuit that looks for a carrier wave frequency embedded in the xmit signal. If it doesn't "hear" the carrier, it automatically mutes the receive output. Unfortunately, an external RF noise source doesn't have the carrier wave, and if it overpowers the proper xmit signal, the receiver will mute the output. Sometimes, this can be very frustrating.
Old October 8th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #10
Regular Crew

What about sensitivity settings?

What about the sensitivity and AF out settings... What are the optimal setting for the JVC when settings are in -50db? It is not clear in this tutorial. Can someone post his settings please?
Panos Bournias
Old October 12th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #11
Major Player

I pad the lav & hand held mic down to -30db while leaving the receiver at 0db AF OUT.

I use AUTO audio level adjust on the HD100.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems