Fujinon's Th16x5.5BRMU VS HTs18x4.2BRM - how good are your eyes - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 17th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #31
Major Player

I'm sitting right in the middle with the 17. I actually think it's a pretty solid in the middle of these two lenses. I think I want a 20. =D
Old November 2nd, 2007, 07:28 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colemont View Post
At IBC last month I tried the 18x4.2BRM. It's a nice piece of equipment, but I was turned off and surprized to see still a lot of CA while zoomed in all the way.
Indeed, there's still CA with the Fuji 18x (and that's to be expected). CA seems to be a lot less aggressive on the 18x though...

I remember being somewhat dissapointed with this when I had the 18x in my hand for the first time.

Still, a serious improvement over the 16x: wider angle, more crispness at longer focal lengths (I encourage people to make no shots over 50mm or so with the stock lens).
Furthermore is the 16x no real inner focus lens. Using a matte box, you'll squize the 16x too tight, getting the focus stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
A 11,000 dollar lens on a 6,000 camera seems like an awkward ratio. Nearly 2:1. Anyone know what ratios the big boys use? Or is 2:1 common?
Yep, it isn't that uncommon. Broadcast wide angle lens 2/3 inch : +/- 35k, SD camera body : 10k-25k.
Not to mension 8k for a 35mm adapter and 10k+ for a 35mm lens.
Old November 4th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #33
Contributor

I bought the 13x from B&H when it came down in price and it's been superb. Most of our shooting was indoor on commercial premises and the wider angle made sense.

I'd question the value of the 18x as well - it really comes down to the longevity of the format. The great thing about buying a 2/3" or 1/2" piece of expensive glass was that it would outlast the back. I'm not so sure with 1/3" that we'll see too many more cameras in this format (I hope we do). It is definitely not a straight monetary equation though - in stills land you can pay ten times as much for the glass as for the body. If you need it and you can earn money off it, then it is worth it. For example - if I were shooting sport, the extra throw and clarity along with the extra wide angle might be worth it.

Of course there would be a great deal of very expensive SD glass that will slowly become obsolete regardless of the image size.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #34
Major Player

yes, 18 is much better... but too price for me. I might rent it for something big. OK. have to ask, does anyone have comparison shots with the less expensive 17?
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #35
Major Player

I have the 17x lying here. It seems like a nice improvement, especially at the long end of the lens. I'll post some images if I have the time...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems