HD201E Recording check problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 16th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #1
New Boot

HD201E Recording check problem

Every time I use the Recording Check Function (RET button) on my HD201E when shooting 720p25 all of the sequence immediately afterwards until the next power down/power up is unplayable, showing a blue or black screen during playback, with very occasional stills when shuttling in either direction. On an HDV studio deck a very screwed up picture shows, rather like a digitised version of a single head clog.

1st occurrence (JVC stock) I put down to a temporary head clog. 2nd occurrence (Maxell stock) in identical circumstances made me suspect something systemic. 3rd occurrence (JVC stock) was a controlled reproduction of the problem in the presence of my JVC dealer. Every time the disturbance is strictly limited to the sequence of shots between Recording Check and the next power down/power up; pictures before and after are perfect to the last/first frame.

JVC service in London suggested updating two older firmware modules (see separate thread) and head clean. Update had no effect as problem persists and head clog seems unlikely since recording and playback are perfect on either side of unplayable section which is so cleanly defined, so we suspect an electronic anomaly.

This is a particularly distressing one as you could lose everything from a specific location, though luckily the first time I had powered down between setups or could have lost half a day.

I don't see any mention of anything similar so it looks like a rogue camera. I haven't pursued this further yet with JVC - I dread losing the camera for days while it goes back across the water to London (from N Ireland) - so anything relevant would be very useful.
Richard Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

My old HD100E was replaced yesterday (to a new HD101E) because of a slightly similar problem.
wile shooting long interviews (2.5 hours normally) the camera worked O.K, stopping a shoot an then starting a new one usually caused the "Head cleanup required" message. after a while (450 H for the first time, 320 H at the second and 30H for the last time) the head was scratched and i had to replace it.
I usually shoot DV-50I and used the sony premium tapes until the first time and the panasonic pro since.
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Isn't

the record return or check button only for multicamera setups to see whats going to screen/record? Maybe thats why you get nothing recorded as there's no signal return?
Sorry if I'm not close to the mark, I've not used this feature yet, I just look at my viewfinder and see timecode and audio VU's moving and the red light on to confirm record.

Regards

Adam
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Letch View Post
the record return or check button only for multicamera setups to see whats going to screen/record? Maybe thats why you get nothing recorded as there's no signal return?
Sorry if I'm not close to the mark, I've not used this feature yet, I just look at my viewfinder and see timecode and audio VU's moving and the red light on to confirm record.

Regards

Adam
Well no :-)
its the only fast way to know the condition of your recorded material.
In your: "just look at my viewfinder and see timecode and audio VU's moving" you know that the camera is recording, but you cant know the condition of the tape, how many drops you've got and the state of the recorded material.
i use it at last once any tape
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #5
Major Player

the RETurn button serves two purposes.

When connected in a multi camera studio environment it allows you to view Mixer Output.

When used in an ENG environment it returns to tape to the end of the last recorded timecode after a power down. When the camera powers down the tape spools ahead of the last recorded time code, thus generating a small gap and loss in recorded information and timecode, which will continue from the last code once recording has resumed.

It just makes for a cleaner rushes tape for the editors!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems