DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HD250 Malfunction (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/105937-hd250-malfunction.html)

Dave Beaty October 18th, 2007 07:56 AM

HD250 Malfunction

I have a relatively new HD250 that decided to die. Or more precisely, it's in an error mode.

The message "Turn Power off and Then Back On Again Later" appears in the viewfinder after powering it on for about 15 secs. The HD/HDV light also flashes rapidly back and forth and the VTR light flashes as well. After it enters this mode, the VTR will not eject. The is no tape in the VTR. If I power it on, I can use eject and open the VTR until it enters the error mode a few secs later. I'm not certain if this happened on a shoot as the unit was back on the shelf when I turned it on and discovered this problem. No one seems to know anything about it here. (you know how that can go).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

Terry Nixon October 18th, 2007 12:07 PM

If the camera is less than 30 Days old, use JVC's Perfect Experience Program to obtain a new advance replacement direct from JVC.

Here's the link that explains the program:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/pepolicy.jsp

"To invoke the P/E Policy, please call JVC Professional Products Customer Service at (800) 582-5825"

Dave Beaty October 18th, 2007 01:06 PM

I think it's off to the Service Center. I think it's about 9 months old. I thought perhaps someone else has seen this anomaly .

Dave Beaty

Dave Beaty October 20th, 2007 02:27 PM

I sent it out to Lawrenceville today. Thank god it's still in Warranty - 1 year on these 250's correct?

David Parks October 20th, 2007 04:48 PM

Actually I think it is 2 years on the 200/250 and one year on the 110.

They'll take good care of your problem.

Richard Jolly October 22nd, 2007 01:42 AM

Isn't there another thread in this forum on exactly the same fault, the camera refusing to do anything and all lights blinking? I can't find it at the moment.

Dave Beaty November 26th, 2007 10:49 AM

Well, thank god for the two year warranty on the 250. I got the camera back in just under a month. Parts were the hold up.

The invoice shows a codec board being the culprit. Seems to work now.

In warranty these repairs aren't to much of a hassle. But when gear just fails for no reason after a year or two, the costs are big. And I've found no local techs that can work on these units.

Dave

Dave Beaty November 28th, 2007 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I was happy to get the HD250 back from repair.

But today I arrived to an irate field crew. "Two days of shooting is ruined! " They tell me. "A black bar thingy is through all the footage!. But it doesn't show on the viewfinder."

Sure enough. It looks like a zipper vertically through the image on tape. We tried a cleaning tape and it has no effect on it. This is in DV mode. In HDV, the image just breaks up and flashes on and off.

I am attaching the image from my cellphone of the LCD showing the zipper effect. I've done this before but it dissapeared after a day or two so let me know if this thumbnail dissapears.

So much for using the camera out of the box. I learned my lesson, test everything before putting it into service. Now I at a loss of what my next move is.

Dave Beaty

Chris Hurd November 28th, 2007 01:36 PM

Wow. Your next move should be this camera's immediate return to Lawrenceville and be sure to include the tape which shows this problem.

Dave Beaty December 9th, 2007 04:39 PM

Well, someone is listening. I think because I called my dealer and pleaded with them to contact their rep about this camera and the problems I've had with the BR-HD50. I recieved a call from JVC home office as well as a manager at the Lawrenceville facility. They are having me send both units back to them for evaluation.

I mentioned to the person at the home office that it's been over a month without this camera and now with this 2nd malfunction, I could use a loaner. He said that IF the repair was taking more that another 2 weeks I could request a loaner at that time.

We shall see. I sent the units out the last week of Nov. with the tape.

Dave B

Roy Beazley December 13th, 2007 12:16 AM

A zipper.....wow how odd is that...geez.

Dave Beaty December 21st, 2007 11:02 AM

We finally got our HD250 back working, woo hoo. And the 2nd repair of the drum assembly only took 2 weeks!

So, apparently the zipper thing was the drum. But is says Error Rate Adjustment, Foreign Matter on the repair. I guess that means something was on the head or in the assembly? Weird.

But the camera is once again making pictures. Our dealer got the home office to help us out with this. To speed things up.

Dave

Chris Hurd December 21st, 2007 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Beaty (Post 796374)
Our dealer got the home office to help us out with this. To speed things up.

Glad to hear it. Your experience is exactly why we always urge very strongly to get the dealer involved in this process as quickly as possible. Thanks for the report,

Mark Silva December 21st, 2007 01:36 PM

I've always wondered what if your dealer is B & H?

Eric Darling December 21st, 2007 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Silva (Post 796451)
I've always wondered what if your dealer is B & H?

My experience with B&H as a dealer is that they have very competitive prices. :)