Combining XL1 and 110U SD in Project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 18th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Combining XL1 and 110U SD in Project

I have a number of scenes I shot with an XL1, that would be helpful if I could incorporate in a project using the 110U. Are there any glaring issues I might encounter in combining the two?
thanks...Jon
Jon R. Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon R. Haskell View Post
I have a number of scenes I shot with an XL1, that would be helpful if I could incorporate in a project using the 110U. Are there any glaring issues I might encounter in combining the two?
thanks...Jon
Hi,
I can help here. I have had no issues with the footage mix. You will find that the JVC is way sharper than the XL1s.
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks for the reply! I noticed in my haste in posing the question I failed to note, I would shoot the 110u in SD...so I would have SD scenes from both cameras. Does this affect your response?
Jon R. Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon R. Haskell View Post
thanks for the reply! I noticed in my haste in posing the question I failed to note, I would shoot the 110u in SD...so I would have SD scenes from both cameras. Does this affect your response?
Not at all. I was comparing the two cameras in SD. I have owned an XL1s for three years till I bought the JVC. THe JVC really has a much sharper image.
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I noticed the same way with the HD100's SD sharpness vs XL1, XL2 or DVX . I wonder if it's because of the HD100's precise focus assist?
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by George David View Post
I noticed the same way with the HD100's SD sharpness vs XL1, XL2 or DVX . I wonder if it's because of the HD100's precise focus assist?
Are you guys shooting in SD with your HD1XX's? or in HDV and downrezzing?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George David View Post
No, I dont think so. In all the two cameras just dont compare. I used to think the XL1s was great till I bought the JVC111. Recently i used the Canon for some aerial shots from a small aircraft because of its image stabilisation and it is nowhere near as sharp as the JVCHD111.
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Are you guys shooting in SD with your HD1XX's? or in HDV and downrezzing?
Hi Brian,
My reply here is comparing the SD shoots. I shoot everything now in HDV and downconvert in FCP itself. I just love the HDV look in the JVC. My work is with TV commercials etc.
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

My comment was based on SD shooting live. I really like the 4x3 60i that the HD100 gives me. Of course, HDV 24/30p is just beautiful.
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Jon,

I recently used both my XL1 and HD100 for a wedding shoot (SD on both), and the color balances are totally different. While you can manually tweak your camera & white balance settings, there's only so much you can do to try and match them up. It's very noticeable. If this is an important shoot, definitely experiment before hand.

Maybe try this: In post, put your Canon files on one track, JVC on the other. Export one (or both) sequence as it's own file using as little compression as possible. Bring the file(s) back into into your editor, and use color correction on one to match the other. When you're done, export together. While the JVC is sharper, I find its colors are very toned down compared to the Canon. Therefore, it may be easier to color correct the Canon file to the JVC footage. Good luck :).
Jeremy Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clark View Post
Jon,
While the JVC is sharper, I find its colors are very toned down compared to the Canon. Therefore, it may be easier to color correct the Canon file to the JVC footage. Good luck :).
I found the JVC's colors dull too but then I tried Pauolo's True Color and now they pop. Have you tried True Color?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #12
Regular Crew

No, I haven't. Where do I get it, and how is it loaded into the camera?
Jeremy Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Jeremy....go to the sticky notes at the top of the JVC Pro HD section and click on 100 series recipes or whatever it is called. Brian thanks for your suggestion...jon
Jon R. Haskell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems