DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   External LCD monitor/viewfinder question for HD110 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/106102-external-lcd-monitor-viewfinder-question-hd110.html)

Jim Andrada October 20th, 2007 11:21 PM

External LCD monitor/viewfinder question for HD110

I have two somewhat related questions.

Does anyone know if there is any type of auxiliary lens that can be used with the HD110 viewfinder? My right eye is really bad and no matter how I adjust the focus on the viewfinder, I can't see it well enough to even approximately keep the shot in focus. Even focus assist doesn't seem to do the trick!

On still cameras one can sometimes order stronger add on lenses for the viewfinder from the maker and I wondered if anyone had come across such a thing for this camera.

Assuming the answer is "no", does anyone have a recommendation for a lightweight high def LCD monitor (with sunshade) that could be mounted off of the accessory shoe. I would probably want to get one anyow for use on a tripod, but unless I can improve the focus of the viewfinder I may need it for shoulder mounted work as well.

Liam Hall October 21st, 2007 02:47 AM

You could just use your left eye! Assuming you've tried that, Swit make a half decent TFT monitor. Not cheap though.

Brian Drysdale October 21st, 2007 05:37 AM

I've heard of people getting special lenses made for the V/F on their cameras. Perhaps you should check with your optician about getting one made to fit onto your camera.

Jim Andrada October 21st, 2007 11:32 AM

I actually have tried using the left eye. The viewfinder doesn't really pull out quite far enough to make this easy and it then blocks the right eye and leaves me flying pretty blind when moving about. but worst case, that's how I've been doing it.

I was thinking of getting a remote LCD anyhow so it occurred to me that if I could mount it far enough forward on the camera I could use it for shoulder mounted work as well, but this would put more of a premium on finding a light weight unit.

Shai Camerini October 21st, 2007 02:33 PM

I have a similar problem, and i use my regular glasses.
the only thing is that i have folded and covered the rubber eye shade with a TENNIS SWEAT WRIST BAND so it will not steam.

Jim Andrada October 21st, 2007 02:49 PM

Well, even with the glasses it is pretty marginal.

I might try to take the whole rig to the eye doctor and see if he can get me a strong enough lens to make this work.

Good idea re the rubber eye cup.

Claude Mangold October 31st, 2007 06:28 AM

I have a similar problem and although I do no camera work I like to be able to take a look through the viewfinder and the a second later read my script of notes.
The solution is contact lenses that fit both viewfinder and distance, and additional reading glasses for texte in front of me.

I talked to my optician about fitting a special lens which can be done but again my Dp has another vision and I need to leave the camera to him.

Monitors: Marhal seems to be the only small one that has a HD-line image (it's not full HD, e.g. you can't make out dead pixels). you can power it from a V-lock battery tap on your cam.