DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Rode Ntg-1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/106944-rode-ntg-1-a.html)

Joseph A. Benoit October 31st, 2007 09:35 AM

Rode Ntg-1

I know we talked about this before
I love my 110 but i just cannot stand the stock mic
on scale of 1-10 how would you rate th NTG_1 compared to the JVC Stock mic
The Rode is right now in my price range

I trust you guys and your opinions
thank you
Joe

Paolo Ciccone October 31st, 2007 09:38 AM

I use that mic all the time, for the price I think it's hard to beat. I shot an interview yesterday, two people facing each other, it worked flawlessly, the sound was good, better in fact than other more expensive setups that I tried in the past. Highly recomended.

David Knaggs October 31st, 2007 02:49 PM

I use the NTG-1. It's very, very good. Excellent "bang for your buck".

Joseph A. Benoit October 31st, 2007 02:58 PM

Thank You Paolo
Coming from you i know it has to be good
I use Rode studio mics for my audio studio
They work great.

the Jvc mic has no power and no presence

JOE

Robert Castiglione October 31st, 2007 10:08 PM

A very happy NTG-1 user here. I am a "sound" guy as well recording professionally and am absurdly pathologically finicky about my sound. There is no comparison between the stock mic and the NTG -1. I burnt the stock mic by placing it in a burning piano that I was filming and it was ok for that. The Rode compares very favourably to its MUCH more expensive cousins. The best $300 bucks I have spent in the audio realm.

Handling noise on the stock mount is a problem so you will need to do something about that. I built an extender for the mic to take it away from the camera body.

Rob

Marc Jayson November 1st, 2007 03:38 AM

Do you guys use a special shock mount (on cam) for the NTG?
I get a lot of handling noise if I gently touch my tripod.

The NTG on a boom is great!

Robert Castiglione November 1st, 2007 06:47 AM

I built an extender as follows.

You need three pieces: 1. K -Tek General Purpose mount 2. K- Tek extender /mount to fit onto DV cameras(this screws into the General purpose mount. 3. suitably sized wooden dowel that is long enough to fit into K-Tek extender and will fit the microphone mount on the camera. Make sure that you cover the wooden doyle with rubber to insulate it against noise.

Anyway, I am sure that there are various solutions out there to get the microphone away from the camera body.

Rob

Joseph A. Benoit November 1st, 2007 11:28 AM

Ntg

Hello
iwas just wondering if you wrap some foam around the mic where the
Mic mount holds it would this reduce the mic picking some of the camera noise

just a thought
joe

Paolo Ciccone November 1st, 2007 12:15 PM

Robert, have you tried the Rode mount that goes on the shoe adapter, you know the one with the crossed rubber bands?

Joseph A. Benoit November 1st, 2007 01:03 PM

Paolo do you have a noise problem with your NTG-1?

Joe

Paolo Ciccone November 1st, 2007 01:11 PM

Not at all Joe but I use it mostly on a boom. I have the cold shoe adapter mount, also by Rode honestly I don't remember how it works in that setup because last time I used it was a few months ago.

Joseph A. Benoit November 1st, 2007 10:57 PM

Hello
1 was doing some checking on the rodes sm 5 shotgun mic/supension
unit. I was wondering if it will work with my 110 mic mount

has anybody used this . It sells for $49.00 at B&H

Thanks

Joe

Robert Castiglione November 2nd, 2007 12:36 AM

You mean I built an elaborate mount (which includes a woode dowel) when I just could have purchased one from Rode????? I was so proud of it too.

Did'nt even know about the Rode one. Thanks Paulo, I will look into it.

Rob

Marc Jayson November 2nd, 2007 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph A. Benoit (Post 768757)
Hello
1 was doing some checking on the rodes sm 5 shotgun mic/supension
unit. I was wondering if it will work with my 110 mic mount

has anybody used this . It sells for $49.00 at B&H

Thanks

Joe

I think it will fit.

Some more info:
Quote:

A shotgun microphone suspension shock mount for high end video cameras. The SM5 shock mount is designed specifically to fit Panasonic® and Sony® video cameras with clamp mounts.

Features a 4-way rubber suspension with an integral Ø24 mm and Ø27 mm clamp mount adaptor.
The SM5 incorporates a two way mounting system with 1/4"x 20 and 3/8" x 16 internal threads, for Tripod and Boom Pole mounting.