HD100U Split Screen Depends on Lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 7th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD100U Split Screen Depends on Lens?

Hey Gang:

I just got my HD100U from California after being upgraded to an "A". Also, today I got my Nikon to JVC Adaptor lens adapter from MTF Services.

So I was playing around with the camera and as I inserted a Nikon prime in lieu of the Fujinon stock video lens...eeeek...split screen effect! I did not first notice it with no gain...but it is there...at no gain and with gain. As I felt the blood drain from me, I decided to insert the Fujinon lens. Eureka! Split Screen effect gone! Does this make any sense?

I should get no split screen effect regardless of the lens right? I saw one other posting on this forum about some issues with split screen way back in 2005. Is this something that JVC would repair at no cost?
Coco Bermudez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #2
New Boot

Hi Coco,

I had a chance to talk to some JVC reps a couple of days ago at the HD expo in Burbank, and they confirmed that split screen is a merely Firmware problem and nothing else.
Have you come up with a newly never seen bug in this cameras? you never know...the cameras are great but had a bad streak of problems in the past.

Also be aware that the better lenses you use, the better image you get, the problem might be that by using an SD lens on your HDv camera could affect the performance and setting of the camera.
Federico Aragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #3
Trustee

at 0db, you should not get SSE. send it back , request a better alignment. personally I've gotten much better service from the chicago ( aurora ) service center.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Phew! Darn! So I have spent most of my day searching this Forum for other user with SSE issues...and there were a few. I am kind of in shock to be quite honest. So here is a list of some of the stuff I saw:

1. Some have SSE but if they change some data of the auto setings it dissapears.

2. Some have SSE but after a few minutes of leaving the camera on, the issue dissapears.

3 Some had SSE and sent it back for repair or alingment and the camera came back perfect.

4. Some had SSE...sent the camera back for repair or alingment and the camera came back the same.

5. Some had SSE and sent it for repair and JVC could not find anything wrong...cameras came back and the problem was still there

So...what is the deal? Is this a known problem...easy to fix...a pain in the A**. What ticks me off is that I have just received this camera from getting upgraded to an "A". You would think that they would check for this problem. Plus, I dont remember having this issue before...I fear that this is one of those "send it back we will take a look at it" and I will end up playing ping pong for weeks.

Does anyone know if this issue was ever resolved, admitted to being a problem? How do you go about explaining this issue to JVC. Do they know about it in detail...or is it a ghost type problem appearing here and there but never in the same place or same time?
Coco Bermudez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #5
Trustee

send it in is the bottom line. 0db should be clean. I've had very good serivce from chicago. SSE has to do with how the chip is read out. basically the left and right sides of the chip are read by 2 different and complete A->D converters. if they tried to read the CCD chip(s) out singly, the the CCD's would over heat, so this was the way around it. by using 2 A->D converters it halfed the clock & read out, and brought the heat problem under control. please understand this is an issue with ANY imaging chip as far as accessing it vs how fast vs more heat the faster you need to access it. its normally not a problem, but it does on occasion happen, and as I've said, just have it sent in again and it will be resolved.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #6
New Boot

What are they charging for the recalibration?

Mine split even while shooting with 0db, on a bright clear day on the roof of the Falstaff Beer factory.
Dwayne Dupre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2007, 12:17 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Mine is back at JVC for a check-up...I don't know how much it will cost. I hope nothing cause the problem (SSE) started to appear right after i did the upgrade to A less than a week ago at $150
Coco Bermudez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems