Do I need the new FCP updates? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 16th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Do I need the new FCP updates?

I just bought the FCP Studio 2 about 14 days ago ,do I need the 6.0.2 updates or dose my software already have them in it. Thanks in advance Gary Williams
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Do you have a reason not to get it? It's a software update that does all kinds of good things for you...come on in, the water's fine...so, run Software Update to find out...

Last edited by Jeffrey Butler; November 16th, 2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: clarification
Jeffrey Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Butler View Post
Do you have a reason not to get it? It's a software update that does all kinds of good things for you...come on in, the water's fine...so, run Software Update to find out...
I did not say I did not want it what I was asking is do I already have in the software I bought.
Old November 17th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #4
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
I did not say I did not want it what I was asking is do I already have in the software I bought.
Jeffrey made the right suggestion. Use Software Update. It will check and tell you what you need. You could have done this faster than post here. :)
Old November 17th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #5
Major Player

Just hit Apple-I on the FCP icon in your apps folder. You'll then see what version you've got. Even faster than Steve's suggestion!
Old November 17th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
Just hit Apple-I on the FCP icon in your apps folder. You'll then see what version you've got. Even faster than Steve's suggestion!
Thanks as it turns out I did need the updates, did them last night. Thanks again for the help in the future I will know what to do. Gary
Old November 17th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Butler View Post
I'm glad it worked out fine.

FWIW, personally, I'm more cautious about updates. I ran a network integration business for 20 years and we would never apply software updates (particularly o/s updates) automatically. Our experience was that the user community ends up testing updates much more thoroughly than the developers; so it often pays to wait at least a few weeks before applying updates. If the update release notes show a fix for a specific bug that you're experiencing, that's one thing, but updates for the sake of updates is another. I like to check www.macintouch.com to see what other, braver souls are reporting before I jump in. As an example, a bunch of people had problems in Final Cut with a recent Quicktime update, I think it was 7.2; it really paid to wait for the next iteration. My two cents...
Jonathan Plotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #8
Trustee

10 years of professional IT...I also wait for early adopters to kill their machines before doing updates...I'm reminded of one of the early iTunes updates that would delete all of your music if you stored it on any partition other than the main one. I stored my music on a separate disk as I had imported every CD I own (hundreds of them). I'm very glad I waited for that one.

There are always folks who will use the systems in ways that can't be accounted for in any company's QA testing before releasing the system updates. not only macintouch (previously mentioned), but also http://www.macfixit.com http://www.macrumors.com http://www.architosh.com http://www.macnn.com

These all cover the mac world from separate angles and can catch things (plus info sharing w/ one another - voluntary or not) from different sectors' workflows.
Old November 18th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #9
Major Player

I don't think the original post was asking if it was safe to update but wanted to know if their new version already had the updates in it. Hence the hint of brevity in some of the responses.
Old November 18th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #10
Trustee

Figured that had been covered, just expounding on more resources based on the previous post.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems