DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   hd100 as vtr (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/108314-hd100-vtr.html)

Amos Kim November 19th, 2007 02:58 PM

hd100 as vtr

Will using the hd100 as a vtr to feed into final cut really wear out the tape heads?

John Vincent November 19th, 2007 03:28 PM

Sure it will. But it all depends on just how much tape you're talking about -you talking about 20 hours worth, or 300?

It all adds up. For us, we're only shooting and digitizing 20 some odd hours for our flick, so for us, it worth the stretch.

If I was shooting 4 hours of tape a day for weeks on end, I'd buy a vtr.

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com

Burk Webb November 19th, 2007 05:20 PM

This is timely, just ordered a JVC BR HD50 deck. I've used the camera sparingly as a deck, just pop a tape in and capture the whole thing, no shuttling etc. But I've got a pile of tapes to digitize, it's not worth renting the deck and I feel horrible every time I use my camera for capturing.

It was inevitable I guess, it's a nice deck but a bit spendy. The thing that bugs me (and I was hoping they would "fix" this if I waited long enough) is it only handles HDV from the JVC camera. From what I understand Canon and Sony are a no go. Looks like no one is going to address this so I'm biting the bullet now, which probably means a week from now someone will come out with a deck that plays all HDV formats....

Mark Silva November 21st, 2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burk Webb (Post 778252)
This is timely, just ordered a JVC BR HD50 deck. I've used the camera sparingly as a deck, just pop a tape in and capture the whole thing, no shuttling etc. But I've got a pile of tapes to digitize, it's not worth renting the deck and I feel horrible every time I use my camera for capturing.

It was inevitable I guess, it's a nice deck but a bit spendy. The thing that bugs me (and I was hoping they would "fix" this if I waited long enough) is it only handles HDV from the JVC camera. From what I understand Canon and Sony are a no go. Looks like no one is going to address this so I'm biting the bullet now, which probably means a week from now someone will come out with a deck that plays all HDV formats....

If they would simply allow it to play the generic 1080i 29.97 HDV from canon or sony product and fix a few other little issues, this would be the ultimate HDV deck, bar none.

Bill Ravens November 21st, 2007 07:33 PM

Take a look at the QC Deck at www.nnovia.com.
This is a FS4 type Direct to Edit deck that will also play back SDV.
I really like mine...much nicer than a FS4 and cheaper than the JVC playback deck.

Amos Kim November 23rd, 2007 12:23 AM

how is it nicer than the fs-4?