DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Final Cut 6.0.2 and JVC sequence settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/108960-final-cut-6-0-2-jvc-sequence-settings.html)

Richard Todd November 18th, 2007 12:51 AM

25P capture issues tape and HD100 +FCP

Hi all. I purchased the JVC111e in Oz about 2 months ago with the HD100. I upgraded to FCP Studio 2 as recommended. 90% of the time I can download from HD100 direct..no dramas. Occassionally however, FCP will not read one or two of the files from the HD100. If they are a big file (as in the case of 1 big take in an interview I shot last week) I have to go back to master tapes.
I'm shooting on the proper JVC HDV tapes on 25P. I have FCP setup to capture 25P thru HDV firweire. BUT for some reason, in the past when FCP noticed a time code break it would roll back, start a new clip and start capturing on the next frame after the split. HOWEVER, with JVC and 25P it is searching and beginning to record about 7 seconds after the time code break leaving me with a whole of 7 seconds of footage every time there is a time code break.
So can anyone enlighten me.
a) why is the HD100 recording but now transferring all the files to FCP?
b) how do i deal with the time code break 7 second issue(Note I even have tried 'capturring now) but same thing occurs...as soon as it hits the same spot it rolls on for 7 seconds and then captures. Very frustrating as I'm at the end of a documentary i have been shooting for 4 years which is finally financed??
would really appreciate some help and checking of all my settings.
Thanks in advance.

Robert Bale November 20th, 2007 06:08 AM

re capture

hi, i had the same problem, i now use dvhs cap and streemclip. it works realy well. do a search for it.

rob

Richard Todd November 25th, 2007 11:11 PM

O k thanks for that, shall do....appreciate it.

Robert Castiglione November 26th, 2007 04:46 AM

Hi Richard,

Are you talking about clip segmentation? Have you had the latest firmware installed on your camera? Clip segmentation was well known problem.

I live in Fremantle and recently had the latest firmware installed at the JVC Centre in Lord Street in Perth (will cost you about $130). End of problem.

Rob

Steve Oakley November 26th, 2007 11:03 AM

FCP 6.0.2 capture

I lost the thread about capturing in FCP, so I wanted to post this update. 6.0.2 generically says improved 720p support, so I was hoping... here's the score.

I am reloading a 60 minute program shot on 5 tapes in 720p24. I think in the original cut I got all of it in via FW. during the reload, the first 3 tapes went flawlessly and I was a happy camper... then came tapes 4 and 5. I got most of them in, but there where a couple of clips that refused to load via FW, yet thats how I originally brought them in. I switch over to Kona2 YUV RS422 control, and loaded the rest. I should not of had to do that... but in the end it got the shots in while wasting a huge amount of drive space, but at least its in.

So I have no conclusions right now. I'd need to run another 5-10 hrs worth of loading to say if its really any better or not. :/

however, mixed formats is broken. example - 720p24 TL some of the captured DVCpro clips@59.94 playback perfect, some drop frames. This is not a HD thruput problem. After letting cinema tools touch some of the clips, even if it claimed to do nothing, they now playback ok ( I was doing 3:2 PD removal, or trying to, but cinema tools usually said it couldn't detect anything ). so there might if been a small step forwards, but there was also a step backwards. some day they may get it right...

Steve Oakley

Richard Todd November 27th, 2007 04:35 PM

Final Cut 6.0.2 and JVC sequence settings

Hi All
I'm still battling FCP issues. I've got a mix of DV cam, Sony SX (both 16x9) and now JVC 25P. The FCP sales pitch says it will seemlessly deal with all the different forms. I'm finding though that if I set sequence/timeline presets to 25p I get weird sized pictures for some of the DV cam. If I set DV settings the HDV shrinks. Can some one set me straight as to how I should set up my video settings in FCP it would be greatly appreciated as I'm doing my nana here. Thanks in advance.