Bajao The last sea Nomads at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 9th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Bajao The last sea Nomads

http://www.box.net/shared/static/rds2z6udfg.mp4

This is a link to our trailer/presentation of an one hour episode from the series "The end of the Trail-Treasures of the south seas", that we produce this season for a European television company. This episode, currently in editing, is about the Bajao, the last sea nomads of the Banda sea.
It is shot with the 101E - 13X Fujinon wide angle, 25p HDV, TC3 from Paolo, edited in FCP and CC in Color.
The preview file is MPEG4 that is not representing the quality of the actual ProresHQ422 file. The Prores codec is really amazing. If not for its size quality wise I think that is better than the DNxHD... (Avid flavor).
Anyway this will give an idea.

I have posted some details about the production at the sticky "Finished projects with the JVC..." I hope that you guys will enjoy this tropical atmosphere.
Panos Bournias
Panos Bournias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 03:36 AM   #2
Trustee

Panos

Great stuff you got there. By coincidence i was reading the sunday paper and came across an article about them. Theres a big batch of them landing on our island. They are driven northward to more prosperous islands due to lack of government attention down south.
They are called Badjao in our country, (the sea gypsies).
Its sad that this tribe is now the synonym of beggars in our islands.
They remain marginalized and ignored. Thanks for sharing this.
BTW, i'm also an hd100 user and know its a great cam, can't say that for the stock lens though.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Ted

Hi Ted, where are you living? In the Philippines?
Panos
Old December 9th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #4
Trustee

Yup. The central visayas area.
Good subject you were doin on. I hope it raises awareness to their plight. Its so easy to be prejudiced against those people.
I found your shots have lesser CA than the stock lens. Whats your opinion on the 13x?

Ted
Old December 9th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Lens

Ted, as discussed already in this forum, the CA in JVC HD models is more a problem of the ccds than of the lens.
Even in footage shot with the JVC's 16mm optical adapter and ...examp. a cooke lens, CA is always there.
I think, from my experience, that the 16X tends to create more CAs than the 13X.
In general the 13X is a much better lens, better colors, really sharp. Mechanically also is a lot better than the 16X.
But is not given for free... as is the 16X...
So for the money I think that the 13X is a bit too expensive.
Panos
Old December 9th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #6
Trustee

Panos,

Yeah, it is. I had to resort to fabricating a lens adapter to allow me the versatility of different mid format and 35mm lenses. especially in getting wide shots for the hd100. its just that the CA tends to be exagerated in the setup.

Where will this bajao video be aired?

Ted
Old December 9th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Bajao video

It is a series for the German TV. !2 episodes - 46.min each.
It is all shot around Indonesia, starting from Sumbawa and ending - Kalimantan, Sumatra, Sulawesi etc.
The title is the end of the trail-treasures of the south seas.
Next shooting is in central Sulawesi-Tanah Toraja. Now busy editing the Bajao
Panos
Old December 9th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #8
Trustee

Panos,

Knowing that the cam is a power hog, what battery system did you use considering you'll be out in places with sometimes no access to ac power?

Ted

added: I just read your post in the finished projects thread. You were charging with solar panels! wow.
Old December 9th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Power

I use IDX. I have four with me with two chargers, just in case... When possible I charge them all and then I can go for 2 full days. Sometimes I wish I had more, especially if I use a light powered from the camera...
Panos
Old December 9th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #10
Trustee

Panos, that is beautiful footage. Very nice work, I loved it. Amazing how stable the shots are considering where you were. When they approach the island with the canoe, before getting the lobster, where you actually in the water with the tripod?
Anyway, thank you for sharing this and congratulations.
Old December 9th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #11
Major Player

Absolutely Panos - a joy to watch. The colours are really rich...sounds like a tough but fun gig too!
Thanks for sharing.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Re: Bajao

Paolo, you have guessed correctly. I was in the water with the tripod. It is also this cinekinetic bag that helped a lot, especially on canoes, boats etc. I also used a highhat that we fixed at the front of a bigger boat (a more stable boat).
Of course I used your matrix settings, (TC3) I think that it works always very well and thank you for your effort.
Paolo, I think that more than half of the JVC HD users are applying your configuration... Incredible!! You should... rent it... somehow man!
Panos
Old December 10th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #13
Trustee

Panos, thank you for the appreciation about TC3. It's been a pleasure to make it and a great learning experience with the HD100. I'm glad that it's useful for you and other shooters. When I see images like yours it makes it all worthwhile to have spent those days in making it.
Keep on shootin' :)
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Re Paolo

Paolo, did you finalize the matrix setting for the 251? And do you think that the processor is really a better one? I have seen in some test too much noise and I think that is maybe because they wanted to make it more sensitive to low light? Do you have any extended tests for the 251?
Thank you again
Panos Bournias
Old December 11th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #15
Major Player

Panos, beautiful stuff. It's rare for me to watch a video twice. Yours I watched three times. Tomorrow will be four. It's captivating. Inspiring. But it kind of suggests to me that I'll be bangin' nails for a bit longer than I had hoped...

thanks for the kick in the pants
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems