SSE culprit? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Closed Thread

Old December 14th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SSE culprit?

So I had my JVC GY-HD100 with no problems whatsoever...but just in case I sent it for the "A" upgrade. When I get it back I started getting the dreaded SSE even at 0db. I thought it was the lenses I was using...but after testing it in every shape or form, I noticed that something was not quite right.

I ended sending it back to JVC to get the famous SSE re-calibration...much to my surprise I finally ask them how come 10 days have passed and I don't get my camera back. The response...maybe mid January as there is a part in backorder. A part? I thought it was a simple calibration. It just so happens that the Optical Block is damaged.

I've searched this forum and seen people with optical block issues but it seems that the norm is that half the screen turns one color (yellow, red, green) while the other stays intact. This was not happening with mine though. it just looked like the plain 'ol SSE that some of us have experienced.

Has anyone sent their camera back for SSE problems only to be told that their Oprical Block is messed up? I just don't get it. I must be missing something here. Is this it?...new Optical Block equals no problems whatsoever...EVER?
Old December 15th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #2
Trustee

if you are getting your optical block replaced under warranty... don't complain, be happy. its an expensive part. If they determined it wasn't right and are taking care of it before it outright fails they just saved you from having to send it in again when it . Optical blocks can fail in more then one way, not just the out right colored image some others have experienced.
Old December 15th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
if you are getting your optical block replaced under warranty... don't complain, be happy. its an expensive part. If they determined it wasn't right and are taking care of it before it outright fails they just saved you from having to send it in again when it . Optical blocks can fail in more then one way, not just the out right colored image some others have experienced.
not complaining...just don't get it. They went ahead and ordered the partwithout my permission...so I am assuming they will pay for it. Out of curiosity, how much does a new Optical Block goes for in the GY-HD100?
Old December 15th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #4
Trustee

$952

if its being done under warranty, its no cost to you so why are you concerned about " your permission". be happy they are doing the right thing so it doesn't have to go back again when you get it back.
Old December 16th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #5
New Boot

Any idea why JVC cameras fail so much?

I don't see other forums complain so much about their equipment as the JVC forum.
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

JVC cameras fail no more or less often than other camcorder makes or models.

You don't see other forums complain so much about their equipment -- or praise it so much -- as you do here, because this forum is by far the single largest community of JVC Pro HD owners and operators on the internet. Therefore this forum carries the greatest number of both praises and complaints than you'll find anywhere else on the web.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems