DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Audio Channel 1 Dead (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/112013-audio-channel-1-dead.html)

Dave Beaty January 9th, 2008 11:57 AM

Audio Channel 1 Dead

We've had our 2nd camera lose an audio channel. The first was an HD-100 and now one of our HD-250's. The mic one input on the side is completely dead.

Has anyone heard of this problem? One of the cameras is in JVC Service now, so I hope they can find the issue.

None of our operators has a clue when this happened. Perhaps it has to do with plugging in a phantom powered ME-66 shotgun while the camera is turned on? I'd hate to think you can't do that, as I've never had a problem blowing audio channels out in many many years. But, with each failure, I learn that these cameras are exceptionally sensitive to any cable hot swapping.

Dave B

Mark Silva January 9th, 2008 12:50 PM

Have you flicked all the switches back and forth a few times to be sure they are not the fault?

I've not heard of this before.

Adam Letch January 10th, 2008 08:30 AM

Channels

When you say dead, do you mean you can't hear it in the monitor/headphone, or your not recording at all on your master?

Without being facetious, and maybe making myself look the fool, early on in the piece after a helicopter shoot where I left the mic in , and I didn't bother monitoring the levels, I thought I fried a line input as I only got one channel of audio, even though I switched the monitor toggle as input 2 equals input 2.

Then the I saw on the other side of the camera that the monitor switch was all the way to one side, not in the middle, I flicked it at wallah, two channels working again.

Anyway, hope I haven't wasted your time and it may help, also without being Facetious again, is it the same mic? Have you checked other mic's to make sure it's not a bad line or mic?

cheers

Adam

Dave Beaty January 15th, 2008 08:29 AM

I tried flicking all the switches to make sure there is no short in the mic input or level selection.

Here is the crazy part. That switch that everyone lothes - you know - CH 2 INPUT to CH1 or CH2. This lets you send CH2's mic to CH1 without changing the cable.

Today I discovered while switching the switches back and forth that the dead CH1 WILL GO TO CH2 if I set this switch to the CH2 to CH1 mode. is that normal? IOW does it swap both the channels, or just send CH2 to CH1?

I have a dynamic mic connected to CH1 input and it's level is showing on CH2. If I set the switch to CH2 INPUT to CH2, it drops out leaving CH1 dead.

Stranger yet, when in this CH2 to CH1 mode, when I switch the monitor selector switch to CH2, I see three LED bars appear on CH1...meaning the monitor selector switch has some bearing on input during this malfunction!

The sad part is, we have 4 cameras and it seems like I have more in for repair than in the field, as soon as one comes back from service the next is cued up to go.

Dave

Dave Beaty January 15th, 2008 08:30 AM

repeat post