DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   BR-HD50 and Blackmagic Multibridge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/112035-br-hd50-blackmagic-multibridge.html)

Doug Krejci January 9th, 2008 04:41 PM

BR-HD50 and Blackmagic Multibridge

I have a BR-HD50 and a Blackmagic Multibridge and I would like to have the HDMI connections work properly . . . particularly the deck out to the multibridge in HDMI.

The problem is when I try to digitize through Final Cut 6 using Blackmagic's settings with HDMI connections, I get a single black flash frame that occurs regularly approx. every 3 seconds.

My footage is 480/60p footage being upconverted to 1080i out through the deck and HDMI out. I have done (and re-done) the JVC firmware update v1.08. I've been on the phone with Blackmagic through 3 different Multibridge cards and all 3 have had this problem. We've even tested the RAM, the expansion slots on my Mac Pro, and even tried a different HDMI cable but to no resolution of the problem. The deck does not do this "black flash frame" when connected directly to a monitor through HDMI connections.

When I downconvert footage to SD standard-DV parameters, everything works fine, but I have to use component and Analog XLR in/out settings.

This latest Blackmagic card was tested by the company to certify it worked before it was sent out to me. I'm calling them next, LOL.

What is the problem? What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Doug

Doug Krejci January 9th, 2008 04:51 PM

An additional thought . . .

Maybe this might help, I don't know.

Is there a way to reset or "zap" the deck into resetting all of its settings to like it was when it came out of the box? Will it lose the firmware update if I do that?

I've had other decks with that capability and a time or two some errant setting has created a problem.

Thinking too much,
Doug

Doug Krejci February 27th, 2008 12:48 AM

Update - Problem Fixed!

I wanted to update everyone on my issue. It may be of some help to others.

My black-flash issue on HDMI import was happening with 1080 or 720 upconversion from the BR-HD50 to the Blackmagic Multibridge Pro. It happened more frequently in 1080 than in 720, but it made importing impossible.

Blackmagic, was great and very helpful, even if they couldn't pinpoint the problem. The sent 3 different Multibridge Pro's - the third one being bench tested at their headquarters. That didn't help.

Ram issue? Bad Ram? Memtest is a great program for testing but it said my RAM was fine. BTW, the Blackmagic Pro only needs 1GB to work - Apple asked Blackmagic to require 4GB, so they could sell more RAM. How very Disney of them!

I tried a brand new motherboard - no solution. New HDMI cable - no solution. Even a 2nd BR-HD50 had the same problem.

The solution came when, as a last resort, I got the Convergent nanoConnect. Instantly, everything worked. My imports were clean (and great looking) and even my master monitor feed (from the HDMI out on the Multibridge Pro) was solid and pristine. The nanoConnect converts an HDMI signal to SDI - so I was hooking the HDMI from the BR-HD50 to the nanoConnect and then hooking the SDI out from the nanoConnect to SDI in on the Multibridge Pro.

So what was the problem/what did I learn? There are multiple versions of HDMI - the last revision being in 2006. The HDMI output on the BR-HD50 is a different version to what the Blackmagic Pro is expecting on its end.

Blackmagic is now aware of the problem and wondering how many products in their line this affects? They are trying to get a BR-HD50 into their tech support to try. They don't feel that their users should need to go out and purchase a $370 Convergent nanoConnect.

Personally, if you have a Blackmagic card with an SDI in - do it. It's rock solid and works great - no worries at all.

Hope that helps

Thanks,
Doug Krejci

Justin Ferar February 27th, 2008 12:25 PM

Thanks for reporting your findings Doug.

Interestingly I've been digitizing my HD50 via HDMI (Intensity Pro) for about a year now without the problem you described. Thank God!

Mark Silva February 27th, 2008 12:25 PM

Its seems a lot of people are having problems capturing over HDMI.