DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HD200 & HD110 in low light (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/112156-hd200-hd110-low-light.html)

Geoffrey Chandler January 11th, 2008 09:29 AM

HD200 & HD110 in low light

I'm a JVC guy looking for the right time to get into HD. I have a standard def JVC DV500 and DV5000 and I'm curious if there are any HD 110 ownders out there (who are familiar with the DV5000) who can give me some comparison as to the low-light level ability of these newer cameras?

I'm not real interested in having to drag a light and battery belt around every wedding reception.

Thanks.

Brian Luce January 11th, 2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoffrey Chandler (Post 806771)
I'm a JVC guy looking for the right time to get into HD. I have a standard def JVC DV500 and DV5000 and I'm curious if there are any HD 110 ownders out there (who are familiar with the DV5000) who can give me some comparison as to the low-light level ability of these newer cameras?

I'm not real interested in having to drag a light and battery belt around every wedding reception.

Thanks.

I owned the DV500 and it's 1/2" sucked in light pretty good, for weddings it might be a better choice than the HD100, particularly if you don't want to use a light.

Justin Ferar January 11th, 2008 11:51 AM

We went from two DV5000's to two HD200's.

The low light capability is a significant issue. You would need to get a very good light with power.

Honestly, unless you are forced into HD by your competition, wait for technology to improve a little as it surely will. Nothing was better than the 5000 series regarding low light.

Mathieu Ghekiere January 11th, 2008 01:09 PM

Maybe you should look into the Sony EX1 if low light is really important for you? I think the Sony is the only HD sub 10k camcorder who has 1/2" chips. It does work with solid state recording though, and that's not the best option for everyone...

Randy Johnson January 15th, 2008 05:00 AM

Hi Jeff fancy meeting you here. I have 2 GY-HD 100s (the 110s are a little nicer) I to do weddings, If you get them you will find you need more light than your used to. Not that much though, it will just force you into being a better shooter. Meaning you will always need to be aware of your lighting and making adjustments ie I gain up and down alot there no "Set and forget" unless you outside. I found a 50 watt Lowell I-light works great at receptions Which I have partned with my Anton/Bauer Dionic kit. I also forked over the $900 for a Ultra Daylight HMI Light which I use for the bridal party entrances. You can also "Drag the shutter" to a 30 of a second to get ALOT more light but I only do this at ceremonys where theres little movement.

Hope this helps
Randy