DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Transition From 5100 to GY-HD200 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/112414-transition-5100-gy-hd200.html)

Akbar Ukani January 15th, 2008 06:07 AM

Transition From 5100 to GY-HD200

Hey...I am currently in the process of making a transition from the 5100 series camcorder to the GY-hd200...this is a bit of a dumb question I suppose, but in the 5100 seriers camcorder you had an option to switch from 3 settings in the camera depending on the light...for example "spot light"..."normal light"...and "back light"....I can't recall what the exact terminology is, but I was just wondering if there is a feature similar to that within the gy-hd200...just to make it clear I am not refering to the ND filters...Any help would be much appreciated.

Marc Colemont January 16th, 2008 04:36 AM

Not exact the same feature, but the HDxxx series do have definable Gain settings through an external switch which you could compare with that I suppose.
Another help is that there are scene settings available on this forum which are optimized for low-light and bright conditions.

Akbar Ukani January 16th, 2008 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Colemont (Post 809162)
Not exact the same feature, but the HDxxx series do have definable Gain settings through an external switch which you could compare with that I suppose.
Another help is that there are scene settings available on this forum which are optimized for low-light and bright conditions.

Hey Marc I appreciate your response...I noticed you have a dr-hd100 with your JVC. I was just wondering if you had any idea on when firestore would be releasing a version 3.0 update that would support 720p60 and 720p50 Quicktime. The press release said mid-Jan '08. I have emailed them but no luck with that yet. I have also browsed through the firestore websites....Hopefully you may have some insight to it.

Sean Adair January 16th, 2008 09:29 AM

Hi Akbar, went through the same transition (kinda - from a GY-DV500).
Of course the gain and low light settings have nothing to do with the auto iris compensation switch on your 5000. (sorry Marc!)
This adjustment, along with a few other switches, have been moved to the menu. In this case, it's a good thing, since I found that switch could be moved by accident while handling, and get you in trouble. Some of the others (like bars & limited black level adjustment) can be set to the user buttons.

To adjust for spot/back light in auto iris; in the menu, go to camera operation, then AE level. Voila! and it's more adjustable than the exterior switch. Personally, I'll go to manual iris in these situations, but it can be handy, for say theatrical events.

Regarding the DR-HD100 and 60p. It should be ANY DAY now. I've called them up, and tech support didn't even know about it... I'd heard about this back in November, and JVC told us it would be out "within 2 weeks" of the Apple update for 60p in FCP (quicktime codec needed to be made). Also that the Apple update would be released within 2 weeks. Well, the Apple update came in as claimed within that time, but other than the press release, the update is tardy. JVC said it would be a very fast and easy process that they would be assisting with....

I don't own a DR-HD100 personally (yet), but use them on a regular basis with a production company (for both shooting and post). It's an elegant solution with no competition, but unfairly priced IMHO.

Marc Colemont January 16th, 2008 03:27 PM

Hi Sean no worries, thanks for the correction.