What is recorded to tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 17th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What is recorded to tape

Hi,

Is there a way on the HD100 to conect a monitor/viewfinder when recording, so that you see what actually is recorded on the tape.

As for now, you are like a blind man. Three times I a have got no pictures (just a blue screen), only sound was recorded, and I only could see that after I actually recorded.

I have filmed like 200 tapes with it.

Its cind of sad, but I only use My JVC GY-HD100 for my own productions and not for importent customers. I Just dont trust this cam.
Mikael Widerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Do you mean you want to monitor Playback rather than E to E?

I think all the video outs monitor E to E.

Not sure on the Component out though. I think that's E to E as well.
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell View Post
Do you mean you want to monitor Playback rather than E to E?

I think all the video outs monitor E to E.

Not sure on the Component out though. I think that's E to E as well.

Well, I dont now what "E to E" is?
Mikael Widerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Widerberg View Post
Hi,

Is there a way on the HD100 to conect a monitor/viewfinder when recording, so that you see what actually is recorded on the tape.

As for now, you are like a blind man. Three times I a have got no pictures (just a blue screen), only sound was recorded, and I only could see that after I actually recorded.

I have filmed like 200 tapes with it.

Its cind of sad, but I only use My JVC GY-HD100 for my own productions and not for importent customers. I Just dont trust this cam.
why didn't it record an image? Have you diagnosed that issue? Haven't heard about this issue before...
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm pretty sure the return video switch/button on the lens is E_E mode.

E to E mode is video coming off the head.
I learned many moons ago to press the RET video from time to time just to be sure. My DSR-300 could do this while recording. I havent tried it on the HD-200 yet
John Sirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

A friend of mine told me he had this problem once. He also said it was repaired with the firmware update.
Corey Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sirb View Post
E to E mode is video coming off the head.
As far as I was aware e-e is a clean processed signal input monitoring. This is a clean feed of an audio or video signal. It is Playback monitoring that comes from the head. For example, on beta cameras like a bvw400 or a digi bvw790 your sound man will normally want to monitor Playback from your camera instead of e-e so he can be sure the sound is going on the tape. He has the option of switching between the two on the camera. PB monitoring can be messy as you are listening directly from the head and the sound is distorted with timecode. If you listen to e-e you are only listening to the input signal and you can never be 100% certain that is what's being recorded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sirb View Post
I learned many moons ago to press the RET video from time to time just to be sure. My DSR-300 could do this while recording. I havent tried it on the HD-200 yet
This is good advice! I'd never shoot anything without using RET to confirm recording. You could have all sorts of things happen without realising!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #8
Major Player

Mikael: sounds like you need a service, or perhaps if you are lucky, there is a firmware upgrade you've missed that addresses this.
Getting no picture on your pro video camera could be "mildly inconvenient"!
Being old school, I started n the industry with 3/4" portable decks connected to 40lb tube cameras that needed alignment whenever transported. Cables were finicky, vectorscopes in the studio - OK - I'll get off that flow.
After we shoot the first shot, we played it back looking for any flaws.
When the shoot was finished, we spot checked the tape.
I never stopped doing that! Even though it's been awhile since I caught a problem (don't get me started again on the old days!)
The Ret button is a very convenient way of checking tape playback in a run & gun situation.
But you have to address your particular problem. It is NOT typical of these cameras. I work with 3 of the JVC pro-hd cams constantly, in high-stakes (for me!) professional work where thousands of dollars would be lost if that EVER once happened.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems