step-by-step workflow for best results? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 30th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #16
Major Player

Oh man, and I didn't even reach for the advil... I dorked with a quick clip here, outputting in XML, then opened it in text editor. Then I jumped for joy that I don't have to learn another whole language to do this. It's all there, just like you said.

I use tools all day long Paolo, and I build pretty things. If there's one thing I've learned on the job, I've learned it's not so much to tool - but how you use it.

Thanks brother

Last edited by Eric Gulbransen; January 30th, 2008 at 09:59 PM.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 06:03 PM   #17
Major Player

Thank you so much Paolo. Your explanations have been a real enlightenment!

I seem to remember reading somewhere about problems loading XMLs into Vegas. Will look into it.

Many thanks again.
Stuart

p.s our web site will finally be up and running soon and will have examples of stuff including that from the gy hd camera. I'll be interested to see the difference between 32 and 8 bit fx processing! To be honest it's impossible to tell the difference between stuff shot on digi beta and HDV by the time it's on the web! ....and the good thing is it's the gy hd stuff that ends up looking like digi!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:08 AM   #18
Trustee

Stuart, XML should be an output format for your NLE, you're not going to load it in Vegas. Just wanted to be sure that the direction of the workflow was clear. Also, the FCPtoAE script understands the XML created by FCP, I assume that other programs generate a different "flavor" of XML. The best solution would be to import an EDL, something that I would expect from Adobe soon. Who know, maybe next NAB?
Old February 1st, 2008, 01:51 AM   #19
Major Player

duh! yep, got myself confused. I did know that. Just not thinking straight after a day and night plastering my kitchen ceiling!

just to let you know I'm ok on the workflow;

gyhd - vegas - ae - dvd - client - cash - more plastering!

Thanks again Paolo.

Actually, one thing. Can you render out to all the usual suspects from AE? Vegas has an excellent Render As part with pretty much every option under the sun. AE the same?
Old February 1st, 2008, 02:02 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell View Post
gyhd - vegas - ae - dvd - client - cash - more plastering!
Excellent workflow! ;)

And yes, AE has excellent rendering capabilities but it would be better if you tell me what the "usual suspects" are for you. I usually render to QuickTime. Any codec is supported.
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:02 AM   #21
Major Player

Any corporate work is carried out on the gyhd camera and then edited in Vegas, rendered out to mpeg2 straight into DVD Architect the the disk is sent off to be glass mastered. In Vegas for Architect you render the audio and video separately. Works well so far, unless you have a better idea...which I'm always open to!!!

I had a look at the Sheervideo website and was very impressed. At what stage do you use Sheer then? When exporting to AE for example, would you normally encounter loss there? Do you use Sheer in between your NLE to AE?
Old February 1st, 2008, 10:15 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell View Post
Do you use Sheer in between your NLE to AE?
That is what I used to do before the FCPtoAE script. There is also Automatic Duck but it's too expensive or me. Also, I revise my workflow a bit after reading "The DV Rebel's Guide", which coincided with being more and more involved with AE and I keep my edits to the essential. That makes exporting from FCP into AE pretty straightforward. But yes, Sheer is the right solution when you need to export/import between applications, for example if I need to do some tracking in SynthEyes, and you want to preserve your color information 100%. You can round-trip with it and not loose a single pixel, which is pretty cool.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 03:45 AM   #23
Major Player

thanks Paolo.

I'm extremely interested in this now so will probably get this in over the next few weeks.

Will let you know how I get on.

Many thanks again.
Stuart in freezing Germany!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems