Firewire. . .Again. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 8th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Trustee

Firewire. . .Again.

I just had the mother of all meltdowns! I know somehow I burned up a Firewire port on my GY-HD100 a few weeks ago. Now I think I may have a power problem with my computer. Last night I tried to capture via Firewire like always from my DSR-30 and I couldnt get the Firewire to work after MUCH troubleshooting and swapping of gear.I seemed to have burned ports up in my DSR-30, both of my GY-HD100's, AG-DV10, A consumer camera I have and my Canopus DV converter. Not bad for ones night work. So after weaping like a little girl in the feetle position for a few hours I decided to order the Intensity Pro card and go good ole analog. Nothing to burn up there, anywho I am also afraid to hook up anyting to my PC Firewire related. Which brings me to my question, I think my P.C. has a power problem but im not sure nor do I know what to swap to fix it so if I bought a 4 pin Firewire card for it and used that would that protect me from this happening again?

Thanks
Firewireless Randy
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
I just had the mother of all meltdowns!
Firewire isn't supposed to conduct current right? It seems some people fry cameras and others don't, so it seems the issue is that some computers, for whatever reason, leak current on to the firewire? Who is the CSI here? Dashwood where are ya?

Are there any instances of Macs frying cameras?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #3
Major Player

I actually fried an iPod and camera - what was happening was that I had wired it up wrong when building it, so that there was actually power going into the FireWire drive.

:(

Doublecheck that connection on the motherboard.
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #4
Trustee

6 pin Firewire does carry voltage my question is: If my computer caused the problem which it looks like it did. If I got a 4 pin Firewire card for the computer would it keep it from happening again? Id only have voltage from the camera(or Deck) which is what I guess i'll have to purchase after this mess settles.
Old February 9th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Are there 6 pin to 4 pin FW adaptors? if there are, would it solve the issue?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #6
Trustee

o.k. so it WILL defniatly solve the problem. Because I have a 4 pin PCI card I could use and then use a 4 to 6 pin adapter for the camera. that way no voltage will come from the p.c. only the camera. I wonder if JVC has a way to turn off the voltage (if it has it) from the GY-HD100?
Old February 9th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #7
Major Player

Hello Randy

go on the web go to firewire depot
the cable you need is a FIREWIRE 1394A CABLE 8 INCH PORT ISOLATOR

I have 2 of them 1 connected to the computer firewire cable
the other to my 110 firewire port to my DR HD100 cable

Tim Dashwood told me about them they work great.
Joe

Last edited by Joseph A. Benoit; February 9th, 2008 at 04:09 PM.
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Trustee

So if I get one of these cables for my camera/deck and a pin Firewire which I NOW have in my windows machine I wont have to worry about this happening again? Will I need to be carefull on how I startup? ie having the camera and computer off then hook up or can I hot swap?
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #9
Major Player

Hello Randy
I sorry don't mean to be dumb.
are you using you camera as a deck?
and does your computer have a 6 pin or a 4pin firewire port?

Joe
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #10
Trustee

yes. for now I am using my camera as a deck. I only use it as such when I shoot HDV. Later I plan go either get a Firestore or the JVC deck. My camera is a GY-HD100 with a 6 pin Firewire cable. But when I had my Firewire melt down I was trying to capture DV and was triying every deck/converter I had. Which apparenttly my cpomputer destoryed all. DSR-30(4 pin) DV converter (6 pin) home camcorder(4 pin) 2 GY-HD100s (6 pin) since the melt down I was able to get a Firewire card for my PC with a 4 pin port(better late than never)
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:48 AM   #11
Trustee

yes. for now I am using my camera as a deck. I only use it as such when I shoot HDV. Later I plan go either get a Firestore or the JVC deck. My camera is a GY-HD100 with a 6 pin Firewire cable. But when I had my Firewire melt down I was trying to capture DV and was triying every deck/converter I had. Which apparenttly my cpomputer destoryed all. DSR-30(4 pin) DV converter (6 pin) home camcorder(4 pin) 2 GY-HD100s (6 pin) since the melt down I was able to get a Firewire card for my PC with a 4 pin port(better late than never) but it originally had a 6 pin.
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #12
Major Player

Hello Randy
all i can tell you
is i use a dr hd 100
i connect the firewire cable from the computer to the Dr100 power off
when i'm going to down load my m2t files to my laptop
I turn on my computer first let it boot up then i turn the Dr hd100 on
after i down load my m2t files to the computer
i go to the task bar and click on the icon that saids safely remove hardware
i have removed the firewire with the Dr100 on with no problem, but i don't do that anymore
but just i think it be better TO SHUT THE CAMREA OFF before removing the firewire cable. (TO ME ITS BETTER TO BE EXTRA SAFE)

Joe
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #13
Trustee

o.k. fair enough, I am just more than a little bit antzy about it having killed (possibly) a number of Firewire devices.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #14
Inner Circle

The difference between 6 pin and 4 pin is that power isn't carried on the 4 pin version.

BUT there's still a copper connector between camera and PC, and stray voltage, or static electricity can still travel down the wire and zap something.

I think the isolator is a good idea though. There are also some isolating hubs around.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
The difference between 6 pin and 4 pin is that power isn't carried on the 4 pin version.

BUT there's still a copper connector between camera and PC, and stray voltage, or static electricity can still travel down the wire and zap something.

I think the isolator is a good idea though. There are also some isolating hubs around.
Anyone have a link to these products?

This is such a common problem. It's not worth fixing if it happens. better off buy ing a deck.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems