DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Upgrade from HD100 to HD200? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/114339-upgrade-hd100-hd200.html)

Jad Meouchy February 8th, 2008 05:31 PM

Upgrade from HD100 to HD200?

I'm going to be shooting a lot of 720p60 in the next 6months in rough environments. The HD200 is down around 5500 new. Is it worth the upgrade, or should I wait for their new lineup which could be more than 6months out?

The limitations of the HD100's sensitivity are becoming more obvious every day. Is the 200 noticeably better?

Marc Colemont February 9th, 2008 02:10 AM

My 5 cents:
The sensitivity of the chip is the same, the noise level is better with the new electronics when I compared with my HD100.
So when you use some gain, were I used maximum +6 db before on the HD100, I can go +9 db now on the HD251 before I see the same noise level.
Of course lighting the subject is always better, but in those cases were you can't, I start to use some gain, were I didn't use it on the HD100.

Brian Luce February 9th, 2008 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Colemont (Post 823056)
My 5 cents:
The sensitivity of the chip is the same, the noise level is better with the new electronics when I compared with my HD100.
So when you use some gain, were I used maximum +6 db before on the HD100, I can go +9 db now on the HD251 before I see the same noise level.
Of course lighting the subject is always better, but in those cases were you can't, I start to use some gain, were I didn't use it on the HD100.

Do you notice much improvement in the image? I'm wondering if an HD100 owner might be better off using that money to buy a better lens instead. I've seen used 13x's for 4500 dollars.

Marc Colemont February 9th, 2008 04:58 AM

I've done only one job together with the two different camera's during the transition from HD100 to HD251, just before I sold the HD100.
I loaded in both cameras Tim's Wide latitude settings, and then adjusted the HD100 to match as good as possible measuring both on a DSC shart at the same time into HDVrack .
The the HD251 was about one stop more sensitive with this scene loaded.
It might be different with other scene files. Both have the 16X lens.
I've had no 13X lens to compare, So I cannot answer that.
Maybe Tim or Paolo or others have tested both lenses next to each other?

Ian Planchon February 9th, 2008 08:10 AM

i would wait, everyone jumped all over the 200 and 250 and us 100 users are most likely going to be in prime position when the new models come out, we wont have just spent 8 grand on a camera...

plus, they never changed the lens' just some menu functions, and hardware, and as you said, they are a little more sensitve from what I heard. wait for the next round or the round after that, my prediction is they are gonna try and compete with the EX1 and rock out the 1080p...or am I just dreaming?

Brian Luce February 9th, 2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Colemont (Post 823088)
I've done only one job together with the two different camera's during the transition from HD100 to HD251, just before I sold the HD100.
I loaded in both cameras Tim's Wide latitude settings, and then adjusted the HD100 to match as good as possible measuring both on a DSC shart at the same time into HDVrack .
The the HD251 was about one stop more sensitive with this scene loaded.
It might be different with other scene files. Both have the 16X lens.
I've had no 13X lens to compare, So I cannot answer that.
Maybe Tim or Paolo or others have tested both lenses next to each other?

How about picture quality?

Marc Colemont February 9th, 2008 03:46 PM

Ian,

I had a good oppertunity to upgrade to HD251 when I had the chance to sell the HD100 at a fair good price.

The reasons to upgrade for me were the 50/60P, as I work regulary with collegues who also bought now the JVC-200 (from JVC 5100), so we can do multicamera work in the same formats. And for great Slo-Mo in 24,25P projects.
I took the step higher to the HD251 as I also needed HD-SDI, Genlock and time-code.
The small enhancements for the DR-HD100 (auto turn off), Screen flip, Screen info on the output monitor is nice to have but was not a deal breaker.

Bruce,
Seeing the footage next to each other is pretty much the same, other then the things I already mentioned.
Stephen Noe, did a great comparison of the quality difference:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=79436

Ian Planchon February 9th, 2008 04:37 PM

i didnt know the 200 did auto turn off for the DRHD100, thats pretty sweet.

I am still gonna keep wishing for a 1080p version. I havent seen a need to update my gear yet, but I also dont shoot any movies, I am pretty much a news guy.

Jad Meouchy February 10th, 2008 03:28 AM

Thanks for all the info/advice. With the current pricing from JVC, I am going to purchase a new 200 this week. I'm sure they'll have something interesting at NAB, but it will take 6 months from announcement to full release.

Brian Luce February 11th, 2008 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Colemont (Post 823302)
Ian,

Bruce,
Seeing the footage next to each other is pretty much the same, other then the things I already mentioned.
Stephen Noe, did a great comparison of the quality difference:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=79436

It's interesting that S. Noe found different results, he feels there is a marked improvement in image quality.