DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Confused - Can JVC gurus HELP??? Can I use HD100U model in a PAL country?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/114344-confused-can-jvc-gurus-help-can-i-use-hd100u-model-pal-country.html)

James Thirston February 8th, 2008 06:30 PM

Confused - Can JVC gurus HELP??? Can I use HD100U model in a PAL country??

I'm a bit confused & don't want to make the wrong investment.

Firstly, I shoot events on DVX and Canon A1, however the hand-held form factor has some limitations especially when I'm shooting without a tripod (which happens often due to time constraints.) After a year of deliberation regarding which ENG style camera I should choose, I decided to go with the JVC HD110 because of the real mechanical lens and shoulder mount form factor.

My dilemma is:
1) I can buy the US version "HD110U" for $2000 less than I can source a European version "HD111E". I believe that the camera is switchable between PAL & NTSC but I was wondering if there are any other problems I might come across if I'm solely shooting PAL on a camera designed for USA/NTSC countries.

2) Also, is the camera 720P 24frames native regardless of which country it is being marketed for?

Thanks for any help,

James :)

Brian Luce February 8th, 2008 06:43 PM

HD is ntsc/pal agnostic. It's HD.

Dennis Robinson February 8th, 2008 07:24 PM

Hi James,
I think there is a difference where you cant record back to camera with that model. I have the HD111E
Are you in Perth WA?

Antony Michael Wilson February 8th, 2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Luce (Post 822924)
HD is ntsc/pal agnostic. It's HD.

PAL/NTSC frame rate compatibility is still a tiny bit of an issue in most practical applications.

Ted Ramasola February 9th, 2008 01:35 AM

James,

Brian is somewhat right. when he said HD is ntsc/ pal agnostic, he meant HDV. It can now be edited in most NLE's, the problem is when you decide what format to output it depending on your country's broadcast standard. This is decided in you NLE.

I'll reverse your situation. I got my HD100 couple of years ago but its the E version, meaning it cant record in VTR mode due to some stupid european tax law.
BUT I live in NTSC land. I had no problems. Just use the modes available in HDV and your ok.

Ted

James Thirston February 9th, 2008 03:18 AM

Case closed - the US version it is then!!

Thank you all especially to Ted for providing a hands on explanation.
By the way I'm familiar with the law you are talking about which limits the HD-100E firewire input from being able to accept video in, so JVC had to create 2 models at two price points, however the U model has no such limitation yay!!

Dennis, I'm not in Perth but Sydney... I was in a hurry when I was filling out my forum application - opportunity to set it right now I guess ;)

Thanks again!

JT