very weird problem with my new HD110, "crashes" everytime i finnish recording anythin at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 11th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #1
Major Player

very serious problem with my new HD110,"crashes" everytime i finish recording anythin

So my JVC camera is about 4 weeks old... The first problem that came up was something i never read about on this forum so i was a bit scared that i was the first one to find this...

When shooting a subject that has some bright highlights the camera will just shut off. No warning no nothing, just point it at a subject where theres a very light spot (such as a blond girl with sunlight bouncing off her hair) and boom the camera shuts off. I thought this could be a "protective" response to overly bright light... but I couldn't read anywhere that this is so...

Since it only happened a few times (and i tested that this was exactly the problem) i opted to avoid doing that for the time being. It wouldn't happen EVERY time which made me think this is something wrong with the camera, and not supposed to do this.

The second problem is the one that i need to have it repaired for... After recording anything at any length for 2 times, The camera will just shut off. the same way it does with the light problem. I'll turn it back on, start shooting again. hit stop, record again, hit stop and boom camera shuts off the second i hit the stop recording button.

Has anyone else had this problem? and has this happened over time like mine? this had no problem right out of the box, but then just 2 days ago this happened. Now i cant record anything with out the camera shutting off after 2 takes of something.

I must send the camera in, but i'm freaking out because i have many many projects lined up within the next month that i NEED the camera for. This is my lively hood not a hobby, and my brand new tool is defective...

Is there any chance JVC would give me a camera on loan for the time being that the camera is being repaired? This camera is brand new and fully under warranty and bought from an authorized dealer...

This scares the hell out of me, because i don't know what i can do, and really cannot afford to rent a camera for a whole month while i wait for JVC to service it. This seems very unfair as I paid good money for a product I stand by, only to have bought a "lemon". This could potentially set me back a very long time in work and money.

If anyone has any knowledge that could help me, please respond.

Thank you.
G.P.

Last edited by Giuseppe Pugliese; February 11th, 2008 at 05:45 AM.
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey Giuseppe,

first of all, i think i remember you bought one from BH a few weeks back? Lucky you BH is right in town so I highly suggest taking the cam back and demanding an exchange as your cam sounds like it might be a lemon to me. Ive got a 100A(U) that has NEVER given me problems like that before so its ridiculous that you would have to rent out a 2nd cam- especially with it still being under warranty. I'm sure the rest of the JVC community will chime in with better advice but that's my two cents for now. good luck!
Alan Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

take it back, get a new one...

Hey Guiseppe

I think Alan's right; you got a lemon. The problems you describe are surely not designed into the machine. In fact, this is a camera that (when it works properly) allows you to make mistakes like burning out the CCD by pointing it at super-bright light sources - it's a camera for people like you, who use it for a living, not just for fun, so it assumes you know what you are doing.

Don't give up on the camera though. It's a shame you got a bad 'un, but generally they are excellent cameras. Best of luck.
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #4
Major Player

Thank you for your responses so far. My problem is, that its a little passed the 30 day mark... what should i do??

how do i send it in to jvc to get it serviced?

I have treated this camera like gold as do i treat all my professional equipment i own... so do i try to demand a return/exchange? also if i sent in my idx rebate already, what do i do about that?

I feel as if no matter what i do, its going to be at least 30 days of me without work and a camera unless i some how get a loaner camera :(

anyone from JVC on here that could give me a few pointers as what i should do?
the problems seem to be software as far as i can tell... so im deadly afraid that if i send it in and they only fix one of the 2 problems, ill get it back and it will still have problems with it. unless the fully check its recording abilities a few times.

all any any remarks would be helpful, and thanks to anyone whose reading this.

UPDATE: ______________________________________________________________________

I am currently testing to see if what happened 2 days ago, can be replicated. I noticed that it started happening the warmer the camera got. It was running off of the power adapter for most of the shoot, so I currently have it hooked up and recording for a bit of time, trying to heat up the camera and see if it starts acting up the same way. So far it seems i cant reproduce the problem as of yet. This scares me because you never know when it will pop up again. The cameras under body (the spot right where the Serial Number is) was warm to the touch the day it started shutting off once the record button was hit. The camera was not "over heating" because if it was wouldn't it shut off regardless of recording? Also when this was happening the LCD would flicker a few times right before it would turn off.

I called a tech at JVC and hes looking into whats wrong with my camera and when he calls me back, ill update you guys as to whats going on.

G.P.

Last edited by Giuseppe Pugliese; February 11th, 2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #5
Major Player

how far past the 30 day mark are you? i still might try going down to BH and seeing what they can do first. sometimes reputable sellers will go a little beyond the stated date on the warranty if they are willing to recognize that the cam is a dud. that is something totally unreliable and too risky to keep in a camera of this caliber. let us know how it goes.
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #6
Major Player

sounds like a power-related issue

what kind of batteries are you using?

fyi, I have shot welders with this cam, no problem. it's generally not a problem for cameras these days
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #7
Major Player

just to update everyone, the powering off problem is linked to the sensitivity to light. When the camera warms up after a half hour of being plugged into the wall, or after an hour of running off the stock batteries, it gets sensitive to light, and shuts off. I dont know why it does this after the record button is depressed, but all my testing proves that its linked. If the lens cap is kept on, the camera does not respond in a negative way at all. but the second light is hitting the sensor, it acts up again. This ONLY happens after the camera is warmed up for a lengthy period of time.

i contacted JVC and they are taking care of it via their perfect customer experience.

It seems that i have to pay to ship it back to them before they ship me the new one, or am i wrong and i can ask for them to send me some kind of shipping label online? if i shipped it to them it would be a lot of money just to ship.

I hope that anyone else who finds this problem is taken care of... I was shocked when the camera started acting up.

Thanks for your comments, and if anyone knows about the shipping issue, please let me know what i could do.
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Take it back. JVC will likely play ball as the camera had a sad history in its infancy. They do not need a lot of bad press.

To my mind, there may be a power management or power supply issue, not the batteries or power supply as such but the internal power management and power supply within the camera.

As heat builds up semiconductor devices can leak more power which in turn cases more heat until the device fails, sometimes temporily and works again when it has cooled down. Sometimes it heats up to the point of destruction.

This phenonemon is known as thermal runaway and is well known and usually designed out trhrough careful selection of components. Pointing at bright light might just be enough of a trigger, through activating auto iris or some other control circuit which draws added power.

Don't persevere with operating the camera but send it in. There is a just a chance that there could be a cascade effect through several stages of a chain of parts and more damage might be done.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
Take it back. JVC will likely play ball as the camera had a sad history in its infancy. They do not need a lot of bad press.

Don't persevere with operating the camera but send it in. There is a just a chance that there could be a cascade effect through several stages of a chain of parts and more damage might be done.
agreed, they'll get you squared away with a new rig. maybe this is where an extended warranty actually comes in useful? either way, when she works, she works darn well! good luck.
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post

To my mind, there may be a power management or power supply issue, not the batteries or power supply as such but the internal power management and power supply within the camera.

As heat builds up semiconductor devices can leak more power which in turn cases more heat until the device fails, sometimes temporily and works again when it has cooled down. Sometimes it heats up to the point of destruction.

This phenonemon is known as thermal runaway and is well known and usually designed out trhrough careful selection of components. Pointing at bright light might just be enough of a trigger, through activating auto iris or some other control circuit which draws added power.

you seem right, all my tests have concluded that the trigger was mixed with circuits over heating, and then the power drawn from the sensor and recording, draws enough to cause the camera to shut off. JVC took care of me and is sending me a new camera, should arrive by tomorrow. I'm glad they took such good care of this problem even though it was out of the 30 day mark by a week.
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems