Bull website and trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 12th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Bull website and trailer

Bull is an independent feature film written, produced, and directed by Kent Tessman (me), and photographed by DV Info's resident ProHD guru Tim Dashwood. It stars Craig Lauzon (Air Farce Live), Lindsey Deluce, Simon Reynolds (Instant Star, The Sentinel), and Maury Chaykin (Entourage, Dances With Wolves). The main production camera was the GY-HD100.

I'd posted a little about the VFX work that went into Bull on here a little while ago, but now a trailer as well as some more information about the film -- including a fairly detailed production journal talking about taking the film from inception through finishing, with lots of technical info -- can be found at:

www.bullthemovie.com

Hope you find it interesting.
K. Tessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Looks great! Is it possible to give more info about the used scene files?
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Great job Kent. The website is fabulous and a great insight into the making of your movie; the trailer looks good too.

Anyone getting an independent feature shot, edited and ready for distribution deserves a pat on the back and a ripple of applause. I wish you every success with your feature.

Liam.
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Fantastic Kent.
Quite an inspiration. I caught the VFX posts a while back and it's great to see it all come together as in the trailer.
I'm sure I'll find the production journal interesting and helpful also.
I'll second Liam's pat on the back (you'll soon have a sore back!) - kudos to you and team Kent.
Good luck and keep us updated with it's progress.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Major Player

very nice! can't wait to see it. your colorist did a great job with the HDV footage, and the website is great. congratulations!
Alan Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the kind words.

As far as scene files and camera settings go, I'll leave those to Tim to address, since he was the man behind the camera.

We did discuss early on that certain aspects of the look of Bull would be developed in post and what sort of image we would need to start from. We both knew it would be key to get as good an original image as possible.

Personally I'm a big believer -- especially in 2008 with an all-digital pipeline -- in getting as much pure information in the image as possible, whatever the ultimately desired look. This is especially important in HDV. With a good starting image, you're able to do some really interesting things when it comes to post.
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Very nice.What can you tell us about the audio set-up at the location?The mic,mixer and all............
I really liked the sound and your site.
Congratulations and good luck with the project.
Jimi King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colemont View Post
Looks great! Is it possible to give more info about the used scene files?
I spent a couple of hours detailing what I could remember and then hit submit before I realized my DSL line had dropped the connection. Unfortunately I can't get it back so I'll have to answer this (again) when I find some more time on the weekend.
Old February 15th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi King View Post
What can you tell us about the audio set-up at the location?The mic,mixer and all
The production journal goes into a little bit of detail on both the recording setup (under The Technical) and how it was dealt with in post (under Music and Sound), but just to summarize, what our location sound recordist did was record audio to a separate 4-track digital hard-disk recorder, usually with a boom and one or more wireless mics. I don't have on hand the actual models of the recorder or microphones.

In the dialogue mix (done during editing in Premiere), I generally used the wireless tracks to add bottom end to the boom, and manually cut out all the clothing noise, etc. from the lavs. Almost all of the dialogue in the finished mix is sync location audio, which is actually pretty surprising especially considering some of the noisier environments we shot in.
Old February 16th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Very nice.Keep up the good work.
Jimi King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 09:30 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hey Kent,

I haven't been on the forums in a while, but I just saw the trailer on Apple's trailer site, and remember the title from a conversation I had with Tim Dashwood. I dig it, but felt the trailer went on a little too long, regardless, a late congrats is in order.
Scott Lovejoy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems