DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   FCP thinks 50p clips are 25p (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/115346-fcp-thinks-50p-clips-25p.html)

Daniel Wilson February 20th, 2008 09:24 PM

FCP thinks 50p clips are 25p

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I'm experiencing a problem with clips exported from hdvxdv. Here's the details:

JVC HD200, shooting HDV 720p50
Computers: MacPro, MacBook Pro, G5 Powermac (all have the same issue)

HDVxDV version 1.1
FCP 6.0.2

Capture Preset:

I capture using HDVxDV, then export as ProRes422 at 720p50.
QT plays the clips at 50fps.
If I open the Movie Inspector in QT, the FPS field says 50.
If I import the clip into FCP, it plays the video at half speed and the audio at full speed.
If I right click the clip in FCP and select 'Item Properties' then select 'Format', it says Vid Rate 25, and it doesn't allow me to change this.

Is there something I have to change in FCP to get it to recognize the 50fps or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

I've tried to attach a short 4.2MB .MOV clip incase anyone wants to check if the same thing happens for them in FCP but it keeps failing. I'll try again to add it later if that's possible.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but when I export from HDVxDV, in the 'Compression Settings' window, in the 'Motion' section, there is a 'Frames per second' field. The drop down box is greyed out, but the field where you can input your own value is available, with the cursor flashing, but it won't allow me to actually enter anything. Again this happens on all three computers and several installs of different versions of HDVxDV. I've attached a screen grab of this too.

Also, I can capture directly into FCP using the 'Capture HDV as ProRes422' setting and it recognizes 50fps just fine, but it seems more fragile and misses bits of footage. HDVxDV seems very solid in this respect.

Thanks for any help

Dan

David Knaggs February 21st, 2008 06:43 PM

Hi Daniel.

Just a quick thought.

Try MPEG Streamclip (setting the "Frame Rate" box to 50). It's very good with PAL area footage. It might do the trick and get FCP to recognize your footage as 50 fps.

And try capturing using DVHSCap. (Do a search of this and the Mac forum to find out how to download these free applications.)

Daniel Wilson February 21st, 2008 11:11 PM

Can't convert the sample rate

Hi David,

Thanks for the tip. I should have mentioned, I've tried Mpeg Streamclip, but if I try to export more than a few minutes at a time, I get this error:

Error: can't convert the sample rate

Again, this happens on all three machines, and with any footage shot on any tape (usually at the same points on the tapes)

I can't remember whether I've tried DVHSCap for capture so I'll give it a try.

Also, I've got a DR-HD100 arriving next week which should get around this problem for future shoots, now that the version 3 update has been released for 50p QT files. Does anybody know if I can send my existing m2t files back to it and then make it convert or output the 50p files to native QT format.

I'm still trying to attach the sample clip but it keeps failing. I'll try from home later.

Update - I've tried to upload the sample again from home and it still keeps failing. It's about a 4MB .MOV file. That should be ok to upload right?

Thanks again,

Dan