Rain cover at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 29th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Rain cover

I am doing a shoot at the Oregon coast this weekend with my trusty HD110. However after watching the weather report, I suddenly realized I had no way to protect my camera from the rain.... and the chance that it will rain while I'm shooting is very high.

So I rushed to the local sewing supply store, bought the necessary materials, and made my own rain cover. Its nothing fancy, a bit cumbersome.... but it will work. I think that I am going to need to invest in a commmercial rain cover for future shoots. Any advice on what rain cover works good for the HD110? One that allows for the IDX battery kit with a firestore mounted behind that and wireless reciever on the side?
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Major Player

An interim solution I've used

is to buy Ziploc "Big Bags". Our local Home Depot sells them in the cleaning products aisle. They come in 3 sizes:
Large = 15" x 15"
XL = 2' x 1.7'
XXL = 2' x 2.7'

You can't shoot through them, because they are blue, but I just made a couple of cuts to fit around the matte box and taped it in place, then a couple of cuts from underneath the camera so my hands could reach the controls. I used one to protect my HVX while shooting a scene in a bathroom with the shower running. Worked in a pinch.

The large size have double zippers, and the larger/largest might be big enough to protect some cams in rain, even if only while walking. I always have one of each with me, just in case.

I hope to get a rain-coat of some sort and at some time, but no need at present.

Good luck

Denis
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Adam,

I have great experience using Kata RC-10 rain cover.

Take a look at the product here:

http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=1&ProdLine=1

Thanks,

Johnnie
Johnnie Behiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 11:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I am using a portabrace cover that is for a Canon XL1 and it fits my HD100. I shot a few really rainy seahawks games this year and it worked great. Their carry cases work great too.

http://www.portabrace.com
Tup Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:31 PM   #5
Major Player

PORTABRACE all the way. get the one made for your rig, you will love it. I have been using mine for 3 years and never had a problem, it has enough length to cover everything (although its a TAD tight with the firestore on the back.
good luck out in the good ol pacific northwest.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:35 PM   #6
Major Player

we use an old Portabrace for Sony DVCAM broadcast cameras, it works fine with a few adaptations here&there. it's a good solution because we use it very very seldom.
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems