DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   HD200U Overcranking & Capturing Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/116343-hd200u-overcranking-capturing-questions.html)

James Thirston March 5th, 2008 02:35 AM

HD200U Overcranking & Capturing Questions

Apologies in advance to the mods of the forum because I'm not sure if this is the right area...

I'll be receiving my new JVC GY-HD200U from B&H hopefully this week or early next week (depends on the mood of the customs official I guess), however, I have a couple of questions:

1) When shooting in over-crank mode (50P or 60P) does the camera also record audio or is it like the HVX200 where it only captures video?

2) For those capturing & editing in Vegas Pro 8, do you use the standard project settings that come in Vegas for editing 720P HDV, and is it a case of slowing down the footage by 50% to get the normal 30P/25P from 60P/50P?

Cheers,
JT

Ted Ramasola March 5th, 2008 03:41 AM

James,

i have an hd100 which i use to record 480 60P. it records audio in that mode.

Ted

Marc Colemont March 5th, 2008 05:31 AM

James,
No worries, the camera records audio on any of the possible framerates.

Jad Meouchy March 5th, 2008 01:34 PM

I can only guess that due to some Panasonic oversight, the HVX is unable to record audio when capturing 60p. The JVC has no trouble at all.

Edius and Vegas have no problem with 720/60p. If you want a 60p timeline, you can go into vegas project properties and change the framerate to 59.94. I don't believe Adobe Premiere CS3 allows for 720/60p and I don't know about FCP.

Sean Adair March 5th, 2008 01:37 PM

James - 60p acquisition is not specifically designed for overcrank effects. Audio is normal, and is is synced to 60p. You can do entire projects in this mode as appropriate. The compression is a bit more aggressive, being at the same bw for twice the frames, but makes sense for many things.

To accomplish the overcrank realistic slomo, you would be working in an edit sequence that is of a shorter frame rate 30 or 24p. You can't just drop this clip in there - it will re-render it throwing away the extra frames.

On mac/fcp we have a tool "cinema tools" which lets you "conform" to the framerate of the your other material. Then, on import, the clip is longer and slower, but without repeated frames.

Vegas is supposed to be quite flexible with these things, but I don't know the workflow on that platform

James Thirston March 10th, 2008 12:55 AM

Thanks to all who replied - I'm looking forward to checking the 720P-60 on the timeline.

Good news! After 2 years of saying yes then no to the ProHD cams and then finally taking the plunge, I finally got my 200U today!

Bad news!! B&H forgot to ship the included Anton Bauer Titan 70 Charger/Power Supply & TrimPac battery :((

Can you think of anything more frustrating??!! I feel like a kid on Xmas morning who just unwrapped his long awaited XBox360 but can't play it because there's a power blackout. AAAARRGGGG!!!!!

JT

Sean Adair March 11th, 2008 12:01 PM

James, The AB pack is not part of JVC's packaging, but perhaps part of a promotional bonus. Some people had to wait a long time for them in the past, but I would think it should be stocked pretty quickly now.
Get on the case, but realize that manufacturer and stock are differently sourced from the camera.