DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Mix hd100, hd110 and a dvx (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/116401-mix-hd100-hd110-dvx.html)

Dennis Stevens March 5th, 2008 09:05 PM

Mix hd100, hd110 and a dvx

Hi-

I've been hired to film a live performance. I have a GY HD100UA. We want it to be a 3 camera shoot, so I'm renting a GY HD110. The only other camera I could get my hands on is a Panasonic DVX 100A.

I'm editing on Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0. I'm wondering what settings on the JVCs will work best with the DVX.

I'm thinking of keeping the DVX as a center camera, with a wide shot of the stage. The JVCs will be to the right and left of stage.

I'd like to take advantage of the HDV formats of the 2 JVCs. Probably just shoot in HDV 30P. For the DVX, maybe just shoot in 30P? I have instantHD, so I could uprez it. Hopefully, I can get them all to at least live together in one Premiere Pro project.

Any thoughts/advice?

Marc Colemont March 6th, 2008 04:59 AM

With a DSC chart you could match the camera's by tuning the color matrix and other settings.
Another way is to shoot a color chart on stage, and then later tweak your footage in post.

Bob Hart March 6th, 2008 05:31 AM

Given the inferior resolution of the DVX and it being 4:3, I would favour using that as your roving camera for the part and full head closeups, as awkard as it is going to be versus using a shoulder cam.

These shots will not be as critical for sharpness as your wides.

Don't take my word for it. I am not an industry professional. It is how I decided to do it when I shot a gig in Fremantle using two Z1s and PD150 with groundglass adaptor in very low lighting conditions.

If you want to see how badly it looked go to YouTube and search for "Kill Devil Hills" or "Boneyard Rider", or "Nasty Business".

I did not crop the 4:3 but scaled it to be top and bottom of the 16:9 frame with edges of the master shot showing. As this was mainly in darkness it did not matter.

Tim Dashwood March 6th, 2008 09:55 AM

Nate Weaver and a few others have done exactly what you are describing with good results. http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=52716

The first thing I did when I received my HD100 back in 2005 was to program and few matching scene files for the DVX100. You can see the recipes here.

Make sure you turn off 7.5% setup on your DVX100 for best results and then choose CINELIKE MATRIX and either CINELIKE_D, V or straight CINELIKE GAMMA and use the corresponding HD100 scene file. There is a well documented issue with the DVX recording setup to the digital signal.
I created these setups with both cameras set to tungsten (3200K) white balance, which is perfect for concert lighting.
Shooting a chart is a really good idea.

I as well would not recommend using the DVX as your wide angle camera. You should use it for close-ups of instruments or a roving stage camera. Use your ProHD cameras where detail is required.

Dennis Stevens March 6th, 2008 11:55 AM

Cool, thanks for that thread.

Well, it's a dance performance, and sometimes there will be a large group on stage, sometimes a one or two people. I keep thinking I'd want a big, wide shot in the center when there's a whole crowd.

There will be a live paying audience, so we can't block the audience's view.

So you guys are suggesting I put one JVC in the center, so the wide center shot is really good, then put the dvx either stage right or left, have the operator of that cam to look for good closeups, yes? Then the other JVC on the other side, and maybe have it stay a little wide? I've done some dance performances before, they like to see the whole dancer's body, for the most part.

Fortunately, I'm going to two rehearsals just before the show, so I can adjust to what they are going to do, if need be.