What do you do with your ProHD camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 9th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #1
Major Player

What do you do with your ProHD camera?

I'm just curious what everyone here uses their ProHD cameras for?

I just started work on a documentary project, but before that I used it for mainly for wedding videos and the occasional coorporate vid.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Major Player

I freelance for news companies with mine. it was fun to watch the tides turn from betacam style to mini dv, at first everyone laughed at my gear because it was smaller than theirs....now they are all buying the same stuff. its lighter, and on breaking news events, a lot easier to run around with. Of course, the big three still equip their crews with beta and DVCAM, but I bet that changes in the next few years too.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #3
Major Player

The gy-hd200e is used almost exclusively for corporate work. All our broadcast work is still shot on Digi Beta or DVCPro. European broadcast units still don't like accepting anything on HDV or mini DV. The image quality from the pro HD cameras just can't crack it when you are shooting for network transmission. However, I really like the camera and for high end corporate it's superb!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #4
Major Player

I use mine for film work exclusively, with with mini-35 but also testing other configs and also from time to time with the standard lens. I am lucky to work with a DP who appreciates this camera.

What I love about it is the nature of the image and the quality of the full-progressive shooting.

And I also use this camera for scouting, test shoots etc when preparing a film.

I work both in docu and fiction.
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Only just got my first ProHD 200U which I plan to use in conjunction with my existing fleet of hand-held cameras. I shoot weddings professionally and have been lusting after a proper shoulder mount to get those steadier interview/formal shots at weddings and also needed a cam that looks more "pro" at events where half the wedding guests are running around with big-arsed DSLRs and handycams.

JT

Last edited by James Thirston; March 10th, 2008 at 05:51 AM. Reason: my bad (spelling)
James Thirston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #6
Major Player

I use an hd100 primarily as the aquisition device of an Aerial Telecine for 8mm, Super8 and 16mm film transfer. It does a great job in SD and HD.

The other use is corporate videos or low budget tv spots.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #7
Major Player

EVERYTHING!

seriously, its just such a great piece of equipment. despite the fact that i dont use it primarily for work and more as the perfect indie film and short film cam, it has paid for itself several times already. its a hard cam to let go of once you appreciate everything it has to offer, and the image is very pleasing.
Alan Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Trustee

Holds my beer real nice.
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #9
Major Player

television programming. we have a leased access setup which we are buying out the channel we broadcast on, so right now we do news 4 times a day, and an infomercial. we also have a travel show, and are in the works for a show to promote local musicians, and more to come.
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #10
Inner Circle

HD100/200 suitability for broadcast?

What's the vote?

Is the JVC 100/200 a legimate broadcast camera? SD and HD?

I know that technically any and every camera is a "broadcast" camera since we see footage on TV broadcast with cell phone cams. However, staying true to the spirit of the term, nebulous as it is, what are the opinions out here?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I got my 201e only recently and have just shot corporates on it so far but I plan to shoot a few pilots soon. If commissioned then I will continue shooting on the JVC. I have been a cameraman for over 10 years and have used nearly every type of camera available and I have to say, every camera has it's own traits and look. The JVC has a very desirable warmth and sharpness when used HD mode. I have seen lots of awful images shot on expensive broadcast cameras. Used well the JVC competes perfectly.
Gavin
Gavin Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
What's the vote?

I know that technically any and every camera is a "broadcast" camera since we see footage on TV broadcast with cell phone cams. However, staying true to the spirit of the term, nebulous as it is, what are the opinions out here?

yes. yes. yes.

thats all I use it for, and not just for local, or public access. I shoot mainly for network news companies. they are all happy with the video, and everyone airs it. so my answer is most definately YES.

I should follow that up with, for news, I shoot in SD. HD is still a stickler for most. the 720p thing scares a lot of people. but ESPN and most other sports shows actually prefer 720p, so I will be using the HD100 for some nascar and indy shoots this summer.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
What's the vote?

I know of several local news stations across the country that use Pro HD cameras for all their field work. About a year ago a freelance crew visited us from L.A. doing a feature story for CBS news and they were using Pro HD gear.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #14
Major Player

agreed.

In a world where the likes of CNN uses 320x240 15fps "video phone" video during broadcast, its absurd to think the JVC is not broadcast worthy.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #15
Space Hipster

I've shot several local commercials, music videos (nationally broadcast) and a friend I let use it is shooting a documentary.
So, it gets used a lot.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems