DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   How can I uncompress m2t footage? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/116930-how-can-i-uncompress-m2t-footage.html)

Steven Houser March 13th, 2008 01:53 PM

How can I uncompress m2t footage?

I have dvfilmaker but it crashes,So I need a backup plan for uncompression so I can edit.
I have 6 days left to finish

Dvinfo has been the teacher, I am the student!

Thanks Again Dvinfo + pro's

Burk Webb March 13th, 2008 02:06 PM

I'm not sure exactly what DVfilmmaker is (google search seems to indicate it is a way to get 60i into 24p, anybody?) but if your looking to get editing fast you can edit the native JVC m2t files no problem with most of the current crop of NLE's. I know Vegas does this no problem.

More details would help and I'm sure the guru's can offer sound advice.

Nima Taheri March 13th, 2008 02:44 PM

MPEG Streamclip?

Paolo Ciccone March 13th, 2008 03:26 PM

Steven, I assume that you want to convert m2t files into something like standard QuickTime clips? You don't quite "uncompress" m2t. That file is what's called an "MPEG 2 Transport Stream", basically an MPEG file where both video and audio are combined.
You can get MPEG Streamclip (google it), a free tools for both Macintosh and Windows that converts any flavor of MPEG to QuickTime and others. If you have shot the material at 24fps be sure to set the frame frequency to 23.976. Search this forum for more details.

Steven Houser March 13th, 2008 04:19 PM

error :46 quicktime could not open activeX control

well that option is now out!
Dvfilm support had me set quicktime to GDI Safe Mode by clicking Edit->Preferences->Quicktime Preferences, Advanced, Select "Safe mode (GDI only)".

Now quicktime wont even open!
I seen forum explaining how to redo cmd with command propt bogus as well!

here I am out $145 for dvfilm maker that supposed to do the job...

I did get MPEG Streamclip and opened a m2t file gave me an error saying that I need Mpeg2 plugin from apple..$19.99 bought it ....But cant open any quicktime because error 46

what a web they wove....

Paolo Ciccone March 13th, 2008 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Houser (Post 842113)
well that option is now out!
Dvfilm support had me set quicktime to GDI Safe Mode by clicking Edit->Preferences->Quicktime Preferences, Advanced, Select "Safe mode (GDI only)".

What is GDI only? BTW, if you need to edit video you gotta have QT working properly, no way around it.

Adam Grunseth March 13th, 2008 10:34 PM

GDI is the old & slow way that computers use to draw bitmapped graphics, such as windows and icons on the screen. It is a software method for handling 2d graphics rendering using the system processor and and memory to draw objects on the screen. This is opposed to using your dedicated graphics hardware to draw items on the screen, utilizing software APIs like OpenGL or DirectX. Windows Vista's Aero interface using DirectX and your sytem's dedicated graphics hardware to draw windows, icons, buttons, etc on the screen where older versions of windows, or Vista without aero still uses the older GDI method.

When quick time is saying its using GDI, that means its using your operating systems method for drawing graphics instead of directly utilizing your graphics hardware.... this is usually safer, but also slower... but it will work on a wider variety of systems.

Steve Mullen March 14th, 2008 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Houser (Post 842027)
I have dvfilmaker but it crashes,So I need a backup plan for uncompression so I can edit.
I have 6 days left to finish.

dvfilmaker doesn't do decompression. And, as I remember, it uses QT Alternative - not Apple QT.

Also, for some operations -- it doesn't work with HDV. You need to read their HELP pages -- which isn't EZ.

If you can describe what it is you are trying to do -- I can tell you if it's covered in my book.

Robert M Wright March 14th, 2008 02:13 AM

I get the impression he is trying to transcode to an intermediate codec maybe??? I'm pretty sure he's on a PC platform. If he downloaded a trial of CineForm NeoHDV, and used HDLink to convert the files to CineForm's codec, he could probably use them with whatever editor he's using.

Paolo Ciccone March 14th, 2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Grunseth (Post 842246)
GDI is the old & slow way that computers use to draw bitmapped graphics

I see, Windows computers.
Thanks for the explanation.