DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   How to do a 2:2:2:2 Pulldown with m2t file? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/117044-how-do-2-2-2-2-pulldown-m2t-file.html)

Steven Houser March 15th, 2008 11:35 AM

How to do a 2:2:2:2 Pulldown with m2t file?

I need help getting my m2t files 720p 30p to a 720p 59.94

Please help explain the steps I will take to accomplish this?

I use PC I have Vegas 7 and Adobe products

Tup Wright March 16th, 2008 11:16 PM

I've been watching your dilema. And this tutorial may help you:

http://library.creativecow.net/artic...ve_footage.php

You need to stop at the 60p section, before he converts to interlaced and then render it out. If you have CS2 or CS3 you may try timewarp which will build the in between frames and may look better. And you may want to save yourself some render time by capturing only clips that you will use.

I also saw that you have the options of Sony HDV. You could bring your footage into vegas in the proper project settings and output that to tape on a sony HDV camcorder or deck.

You could also downconvert and edit in DV and turn in a 480i project.

Your dilema is a problem any HD100 or 110 users could face when submiting to a broadcast or projection company. ABC figured out that 720p looks a lot better at 59.94 than it does at 29.97, especially when converting 1080i. And that is why this is their HD format and others are also doing this. Funny I thought the 60p on the HD200's was for Slow-Mo...

Steven Houser March 16th, 2008 11:30 PM

Nice Find!

Great ! I will try it!

here is the project!

http://www.box.net/shared/k6ymvjds08

man thx again!!!!

Tim Dashwood March 17th, 2008 09:03 AM

Steven,

Any m2t you capture that was originally 720p30 should still technically be 720p59.94. This is how the camera must record the 30p to tape, in a 2:2:2:2 pulldown as you mentioned. This maintains standards compatibility with 720p60 displays.

As far as I know every m2t capture tool on PC or Mac simply copies the stream and does not permanently throw away the extra frames, allowing you to record back to tape at any time.

I suggest that you look at the properties of your m2t files to confirm the actual framerate (regardless of flags.)

Steven Houser March 17th, 2008 11:12 AM

Tim "IM YOUR BIGGEST FAN!"

This is whats going on! I own only the HD100...
I reshot commericial at 30p ,Properties show(A) 1280x720x32 fps 29.970

This is the only HD Digital File format I can sen(B) 1280 x 720p @ 59.94 fps

How do I get from A to B ?
Something else that is no clear to me,when do I have to uncompress..for edit? Can I just edit the .m2t formats like they are or after pulldown?
I know before I edit my Feature Im working on it supposed to be uncompressed and to build proxy for edit..

If you could simplify A to B ..lol

Thx "love Your Work" I wana be just like you!

Bill Ravens March 17th, 2008 11:42 AM

curiously...and I sent a bug report to Womble about this...if you import HD110 material into Womble's NLE, it will report 60fps.

Tup Wright March 17th, 2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 843795)
Any m2t you capture that was originally 720p30 should still technically be 720p59.94. This is how the camera must record the 30p to tape, in a 2:2:2:2 pulldown as you mentioned. This maintains standards compatibility with 720p60 displays.

What Tim said is what I thought was true too, but wasn't sure for JVC. I know Panasonic does this too, records 60p and has flags for 29.97. I ran into this when capturing from an Avid.

Here is another method that worked for me today. You must have virtual dub mod, avisynth, and HUFFYUV 2.11 (or someother good lossless codec)

copy this text into notepad. Rename the folder and filename for the m2t file and save as 60p.avs

#ASYNTHER DirectShowSource
DirectShowSource("T:\test ads\60ptest.m2t", fps=59.94, convertfps=true)

Open Virtual Dub Mod, then open or drop the .avs text file into it. The m2t will show up in Virtual Dub Mod as 59.94.

Save as .avi Choose configure to setup your codec or go uncompressed, file sizes will increase. I used HuffYUV with: Predicdt Median (best), Convert to YUY2, check the box for "Always sugest RGB for output", leave the other boxes unchecked.

When I only open a captured m2T in Virtual Dub, it shows 29.97 and the number of frames. When I use the above script and open the file. It shows up as 59.94 and double the frames, but the length of the clip is the same as when I opened it up as 29.97, so I think the data is already there like Tim said.

I setup Premiere CS2 for a 720/60p setting with HuffYUV as the video renderer. (Maximize Bit Depth unchecked, millions of colors).
And it worked.

What also worked in Premiere is to setup a 720/60p project. Import your M2t file. In the project window, right click and choose Interpret footage. Change the frame rate to 59.94. Pull clip into the timeline and change the speed 50%. Render.

Steven Houser March 17th, 2008 06:27 PM

How to setup 720/60p project in Premiere?

What also worked in Premiere is to setup a 720/60p project. Import your M2t file. In the project window, right click and choose Interpret footage. Change the frame rate to 59.94. Pull clip into the timeline and change the speed 50%. Render.

Sounds easy!
The Premiere only gives me choices of HDV templates with 24p 30p 30i 60i
How can I setup 720/60p project in Premiere?

Thx for the info.
Almost there.....

Tup Wright March 17th, 2008 07:30 PM

720/60p Premiere Settings

New Project
choose the Custom Tab
Editing Mode: Desktop
Timebase: 59.94
Frame Size: 1280x720
Pixel Aspect: Square
Fields: None Progressive
Display Format: 60fps Drop frame timecode

Leave everythine else alone

Video Rendering Section:

Compressor: Choose one that will work for you. I used HuffYUV. You can use uncompressed (none)

Steven Houser March 17th, 2008 08:21 PM

GJ! TUP c ~';'~ y It worked!

I used the Raylight codec from Dvfilm and Rendered at 59.94 file plays fine.

Is there a downfall by doing this? Jittery or jumppy Should I be looking for?

Played the file 10 times all looks great to me!

Its really hard to believe that the only digital file format that this company takes is 720 59.94 for there theatres...

You have made my stress go away and I thank you Tup....
If I can ever do anything for you please ask! I O U......