DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   x-ray? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/117195-x-ray.html)

Greg Corke March 17th, 2008 03:06 PM

x-ray?

Anyone know if it is a problem putting footage that has been recorded to tape through an x-ray machine at the airport?

Regrads, Greg.

Alex Humphrey March 17th, 2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Corke (Post 843997)
Anyone know if it is a problem putting footage that has been recorded to tape through an x-ray machine at the airport?

Regrads, Greg.

nothing that I have heard.. HOWEVER... i hear the way you get dead pixels is by running your JVC through the X-Ray machine.

Liam Hall March 18th, 2008 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Corke (Post 843997)

Regrads, Greg.

It's fine. I do it all the time.

Ian Planchon March 18th, 2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Humphrey (Post 844026)
nothing that I have heard.. HOWEVER... i hear the way you get dead pixels is by running your JVC through the X-Ray machine.

i have run mine (the camera) through an xray a couple times and all is well. I would prefer to risk it on an xray, then check it below and watch the baggage "throwers" handle the pelican case.

Ed Dooley March 18th, 2008 12:04 PM

Re: xray

I've carried my HD-110 through x-ray machines in the contiguous U.S., Franc, Egypt, Greece, Mexico, Alaska, and Costa Rica since May and have had no problems.
Ed

Burk Webb March 18th, 2008 12:31 PM

I get a dead pixel every time I go through the airport x-ray machine.

Ian Planchon March 18th, 2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burk Webb (Post 844508)

really?! thats crazy!

Burk Webb March 18th, 2008 01:48 PM

Yep, It kind of blows. I try and travel with an HD monitor to check it but when in doubt I run the dead pixel mask function in the camera. Thank god that little fix got posted!

Jad Meouchy March 18th, 2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burk Webb (Post 844508)

is it the same pixel?

I have gone through dozens of x-ray machines without issue

Burk Webb March 18th, 2008 03:33 PM

Nope, although that might be a good thing :)

Greg Corke March 18th, 2008 04:05 PM

Thanks Guys. Seems general opinion is that it is okay, is this the same for tape though?

David Michnowicz March 18th, 2008 06:06 PM

Wow, funny this thread came up, I just flew back from Dallas on Sunday after shooting a music video, and low and behold, a dead pixel!!! Ask them if they will "swab it" instead of scan it, that goes for tapes too, never hurts to ask.

I hate the thought of massive amounts of electro-magnetic energy going through my stuff!!

Steve Oakley March 18th, 2008 09:51 PM

its the actual flight and exposure of cosmic rays that knock pixels down, NOT the X ray machine.

Burk Webb March 18th, 2008 11:53 PM

Boy... that does make some sense, very fascinating. I wonder of a lead lined case would do any good... Huge pain to carry around but would make for an interesting test..

Greg Corke March 19th, 2008 01:25 AM

So it IS a problem for tapes?