Help capturing in FCP at 24p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 20th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Tourist

Help capturing in FCP at 24p

I am using FCP 6 to capture via firewire from a 720 24fps tape recorded on a JVC GY-HD100U and having problems actually digitizing it as 24fps.

I have tried adjusting the capture and device control presets to an HDV preset at 23.98, but every clip that comes in is at 29.97 regardless.

On top of that, I am trying to capture an entire tape, but FCP is splitting it up into minute long clips with 10 second gaps in between. I have read posts on this forum addressing this, but found no solution to capture without a gap.

Now, I am new to this camera and relatively new to FCP so I may be missing some fundamental info that would help my understanding.

How can I get around these issues?
Justin Sko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Tourist

Justin,

Have you checked your project settings? You should start with no project open and from the Final Cut menu select Easy Setup and HDV24P. That way you don't have to individually set everything.

js
John Schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM   #3
Trustee

There's also options to set how much "capture now" grabs at a time and how it handles timecode breaks and dv start/stops.
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #4
Tourist

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Figured out my frame rate issues.

I am still having the segmented clip issues though, I hoped the camera upgrade would have fixed it.

It seems to be really random, not sure how to capture large chunks of video.
Justin Sko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sko
I have tried adjusting the capture and device control presets to an HDV preset at 23.98, but every clip that comes in is at 29.97 regardless.
The "HDV" capture setting will always capture the correct frame rate (23.98, 25, 29.97, 50, 59.94) in FCP6.0.2 (or newer.) Your camera and/or BR-HD50 deck should have the latest firmware.

The odd thing is the way FCP (or possibly ProHD TC output) handles 24P timecode. FCP always reads the timecode for 24P as 30fps (goes to :29 before flipping back to :00), even though it obviously isn't like that on the original tape as the camera reads and displays it (:23 flips to :00)

Unfortunately there seems to be no fix for this small bug. The :00 frame is always accurate (to NDF 30fps TC) and batch capturing works fine no matter where you mark you in point. You can change the TC rate to 24fps after the clips are captured, but it doesn't really serve a purpose if you plan to batch capture from firewire in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sko
I am still having the segmented clip issues though, I hoped the camera upgrade would have fixed it.

It seems to be really random, not sure how to capture large chunks of video.
As you've probably read in many of the other threads tape integrity is very important. Have you tried re-capturing the sections that FCP skipped? If it keeps skipping the same spot then there is a definite dropout there. I've had this happen before and I found that switching to the Apple HDV ProRes422 capture preset helped tremendously for small data breaks. If you find that the clip always stops capturing on the same frame, it is safe to assume the next frame is the bad one. Just capture with an in-point one frame after that and consider that frame NG.
As I always say... use only ProHD tape for best results and run a tape head cleaner every 10-15 tapes.
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #6
Major Player

As you've probably read in many of the other threads tape integrity is very important. Have you tried re-capturing the sections that FCP skipped? If it keeps skipping the same spot then there is a definite dropout there. I've had this happen before and I found that switching to the Apple HDV ProRes422 capture preset helped tremendously for small data breaks. If you find that the clip always stops capturing on the same frame, it is safe to assume the next frame is the bad one. Just capture with an in-point one frame after that and consider that frame NG.
As I always say... use only ProHD tape for best results and run a tape head cleaner every 10-15 tapes.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I thought the latest FCP patch was supposed to fix the segmenting error? Pro HD tapes didn't do much for me on FCP5.1.4 But I picked up a Focus Enhancements DR-HD100 DTE drive, and no problem capturing my old tapes or new footage. I only roll tape now as a back up that in most cases I will never refer to. (local events etc) but for anything narrative I'll use my Pro-HD tapes as backup, just for posterity and in case of HDD defragging.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems