DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Workflow solutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/117725-workflow-solutions.html)

Gavin Owens March 25th, 2008 06:50 AM

Workflow solutions

Hi there all,
I was wondering if it would be possible to have a sticky dedicated to known workflow solutions for the JVC 100/200. I ask because I have been trawling the internet for the last few days trying to get answers on best practice when dealing with liquid and xpress.
I think we owe it to this gem of a camera and the future buyers of it. Maybe with enough workflows Avid will get their finger out and fully support it.

Apart from the above, could anyone post their best practices for capturing in liquid and cutting in Xpress 5.7.2 using the DNxHD codec (HDV pal). I'm in a bind!

Many thanks in advance........
Gavin

Tim Dashwood March 25th, 2008 07:31 AM

We've often considered this, but workflows change so quickly with every software or firmware update that I think it would be difficult to maintain (especially since everyone seems to work a little differently in their own NLE.)

The other issue is that I only work with Final Cut Pro on a daily basis and would not be able to confirm the accuracy or success rate of all of the various Windows platform workflows.
If we could find someone who does work with Liquid, Avid, Premiere, Edius, Matrox, etc then it might be possible to at least publish the most common workflows in a thread.

Otherwise your best bet is to visit our post-production forums and search for "JVC", "HD100" or "ProHD"

Gavin Owens March 25th, 2008 07:53 AM

Thanks Tim.
I understand what you are saying and agree but DVinfo could sticky it with a disclamer..... it would help a lot and introduce the newbies (myself included) to the starting points of the workflows. Editing HDV1 is a mine field!
I have found a very good one over at the Avid forum site. It was posted by a guy named 'Swil'. Is it possible to copy and paste it here or does that go against the rules??
Gavin

Tim Dashwood March 25th, 2008 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin Owens (Post 848055)
I have found a very good one over at the Avid forum site. It was posted by a guy named 'Swil'. Is it possible to copy and paste it here or does that go against the rules??
Gavin

We prefer to create original content, never copy-and-paste text from other sources, and we avoid linking to other forums.

If dvinfo members would like to start threads with detailed workflows for their NLE then we will of course welcome it and I will collect them together in a sticky. Please include frame grabs where possible and explain the options for 720p24, 25, 30, 50 and 60.
All I ask is that the original author update the workflow as new software updates are released that may improve or change it in some way.

Alex Humphrey March 25th, 2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood (Post 848069)
We prefer to create original content, never copy-and-paste text from other sources, and we avoid linking to other forums.

If dvinfo members would like to start threads with detailed workflows for their NLE then we will of course welcome it and I will collect them together in a sticky. Please include frame grabs where possible and explain the options for 720p24, 25, 30, 50 and 60.
All I ask is that the original author update the workflow as new software updates are released that may improve or change it in some way.

I've been thinking of doing that for a while now. Some of us come from 16mm and 35mm film as well as outgrowing our Sony DV cameras. I was a little lost for a while not getting what I wanted from my JVC 110, but I think I'm close now.