DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Tapeless w/ HD200 = no tally lights? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/117743-tapeless-w-hd200-no-tally-lights.html)

Brent Kolitz March 25th, 2008 11:25 AM

Tapeless w/ HD200 = no tally lights?

I just recorded tapeless to the HD200 with a DR-HD100 and noticed that neither the front nor rear tally lights appear to function in this mode.

Can someone verify this (and if so, guess why)?

Tim Dashwood March 25th, 2008 11:36 AM

Did you have a tape recording as well or were you using "SPLIT" firewire mode with the left-side REC button? When using SYNCHRO mode with a tape you should still see the tally whether you have a DR-HD100 recording or not.

Check your menu to make sure you haven't turned off one or both of the tally lights.

Brent Kolitz March 25th, 2008 11:48 AM

Hi Tim,

Both lights are definitely set to "on," but I'm not sure about the split/synchro thing.

Are you saying that there's a setting that will allow tapeless recording (DR-HD100 only, no tape in the transport), but still enable the tally lights?

And on that note, any updates on your desperately-awaited DVD tutorial...which probably would have answered this question for me ;-)

Brent

Tim Dashwood March 25th, 2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Kolitz (Post 848169)
Hi Tim,

Both lights are definitely set to "on," but I'm not sure about the split/synchro thing.

Are you saying that there's a setting that will allow tapeless recording (DR-HD100 only, no tape in the transport), but still enable the tally lights?

You can definitely record to the DR-HD100 without a tape in the camera, but you must go into the second page of OTHERS and set 1394 REC TRIGGER to SPLIT.
SPLIT mode assigns the record button on the left side of the camera to the device connected to the firewire port, and assigns the top record button to just the tape deck. Therefore you don't need a tape in the mechanism and you can use the left side REC button to trigger the DR-HD100 on or off.

Normally you would use SYNCHRO mode to record to both tape and firewire device simultaneously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Kolitz (Post 848169)
And on that note, any updates on your desperately-awaited DVD tutorial...which probably would have answered this question for me ;-)

Brent

We'll get a preview site up very soon and will officially have the NTSC version available for sale on April 14th (NAB.)
Look for an announcement on here within a week.

Brent Kolitz March 25th, 2008 12:33 PM

Thanks so much, Tim. I'll check my settings tonight, and I suspect you're right -- I probably am still set on "synchro."

So if I change it to "split," then that should re-enable the tally lights when using the left-side rec button to trigger the Firestore?

And what about the rec button on the lens grip in "split" mode?

Sean Adair March 25th, 2008 12:53 PM

In synchro mode, the lights work as expected when "dual" recording to tape and drive. If the tape rolls out, the tally light starts blinking, as if recording had stopped - but the hard-drive recording continues.
The light is tied to tape in this mode.
I'm always recording tape simultaneosly for backup at this time, so haven't tested the other modes.