New JVC GY-HD200UB - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 30th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #46
Space Hipster

There was a JVC demo here in Jacksonville, FL. I wasn't able to attend, but the salesperson I bought my HD200 from asked the JVC engineers if it was possible to upgrade an earlier 200 to output 1080i to a Firestore. He was told NO, the cameras CANNOT be modified. The engineer was telling him why, but they were interrupted, so he never got a satisfactory explanation.

Well, there you have it.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #47
Regular Crew

My GY-HD251 left today for the modification.
Will report my findings when camera is back.

Thanks.

Johnnie
Johnnie Behiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:00 AM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
There was a JVC demo here in Jacksonville, FL. I wasn't able to attend, but the salesperson I bought my HD200 from asked the JVC engineers if it was possible to upgrade an earlier 200 to output 1080i to a Firestore. He was told NO, the cameras CANNOT be modified. The engineer was telling him why, but they were interrupted, so he never got a satisfactory explanation.

Well, there you have it.
Cannot because of current company policy, as stated here a month ago. It isn't PHYSICALLY impossible.
Mu suspicion is that the cost would be extremely high, charged at normal service rates. There would be a custom small-order chipset and parts, and hours of work at $150 each. So it could easily be a $2000 or more modification with a lower priority turnaround. (replacing a blown firewire costs $2000). Offering the mod at a high price might get even more complaints. So it's likely simply not financially practical.

I'm interested to hear reports about the 1080i cameras - new or modded, and how this footage matches with Sony 1080i native cams. I suspect that that it looks great in comparison (but I'd still keep a progressive workflow if it's under my wing).
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #49
Major Player

Perhaps foolish question

But can it record to tape and hard drive at the same time? Perhaps 720 to each in case there is a failure? And, this would be dreamy, could it perhaps record 1080i to the hard drive while simultaneously recording 720 24p to the tape?

Thank you for your input.
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:40 AM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McCormy View Post
But can it record to tape and hard drive at the same time? Perhaps 720 to each in case there is a failure? And, this would be dreamy, could it perhaps record 1080i to the hard drive while simultaneously recording 720 24p to the tape?
Regular modes can be recorded to both tape and drive at the same time of course - it's a preferred workflow for many of us as the tape is an efficient backup of our raw camera master.
It's an interesting prospect to go 720p to tape and 1080i to drive. This would mean that the 1080i encoding was done simultaneously with a different chipset, and chose in the firewire output menu.

I doubt the direct 1080i output is better quality than transcoding from 720p, but it sure will be a lot faster and less resource intensive!
Old June 17th, 2008, 07:16 AM   #51
Major Player

Ok, thank you for the clarification. This means that in order to use the tape as a backup, I need to record in 720 to both the tape and the hard drive?
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #52
Regular Crew

Modification update.

Save your time and nerve...
Don't send your camera for an update unless it is the GY-HD200 and the Serial Number have the addendum “A” on the end.

GY-HD251 is back home without being updated, or as JVC wrote me:

"JVC has stated that those customers who purchased a GY-HD200 since February 1, 2008 will be eligible for an upgrade. All others owners will apparently have to make do with 720p or purchase replacement camcorders"
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Johnnie- where did your info come from in regards to the "A" designation in the SN ?
my 200 actually qualifies for the update but there isn't an "A" at the end of the SN.
Old June 19th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Hi John,

The info is from my dealer who got it from JVC...

The all thing is anway not clear to me. If you look at JVC pro site, all upgrades are only for the GY-200, and not to the GY-250/1 which was meant to be a bit of a higher spec model in terms of connectivity.

Thanks.

Johnnie
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #55
New Boot

Undecided

I want to buy 2 of the JVC HD 200s to replace my JVC GY-X2Bs but with all the conversations about settings and what it takes to use this camera, it is really scaring me to death. I am a special event videographer and I was wondering if there was a setting for dummies to use until I can learn this camera. Or is this camera not for me.
Earl Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Hi Earl
There is a setting called LIVE HD60P that works well for that until you get comfortable with some of the other settings.
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #57
New Boot

1080 > 1394... How exactly?

After sending my camera to JVC for the upgrade... and being told the upgrade WAS performed.. How exactly does one activate this capability? I have worked with attempting to get this going, but not go.

And, seeing as it has been asked but never answered... has anyone actually gotten this upgrade and how does the 1080 look?
Patrick Synnott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems