Alternate Battery System for JVC-111E at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:43 AM   #1
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,385
Alternate Battery System for JVC-111E

Hi, I own a JVC GY-HD111E but didn't buy the IDX or Anton Bauer systems. I figured it might be possible to make a battery system using inverters with car batteries, etc.

Well, I did try a few vendors, but most of them produce a square sine wave, and I don't think that's very good for electronic equipment, especially my 111E! I would appreciate it if anybody can let me know if they've used cheaper alternatives to the IDX and Anton Bauer with good results.

Thanks!
__________________
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.
Sareesh Sudhakaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 64
Sareesh, I've been using after market batteries from Global Media Pro quite successfully for about 3 years now and they've proven to be quite reliable. They are 8.8Ah (65Wh) which will keep your 111 powered for a few hours and fit into the same battery housing and feature a led level battery meter. They sell them for 4,020.00 Indian Rupee (about $100USD) which is certainly a cheaper alternative to the ultra expensive AB & IDX kits.

See: https://www.globalmediapro.com/do/product/1866

JT
James Thirston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #3
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,385
Chargers

Thanks James
Which charger would you recommend to go with it? I guess I'll need to buy a few of those batteries to help me last the day. And does it fit into the JVC socket or do I need to get an adapter? Plus, I would appreciate it if you could let me know the charging time as well for these batteries.
If what you say is true, maybe I will go for them. It certainly looks good in theory.
__________________
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.
Sareesh Sudhakaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 64
The basic black box charger they sell for about $50USD is fine if you just want to charge the batteries, however, if you want to also power the camera they have the dual station charger/adapter which is about $130USD. The chargers are the slow type which are better for the batteries (I think) so charging time is the same as drain time, i.e: 4 hour battery takes 4 hours to charge. I go through two 95Watt hour batteries on a full wedding day which is about 5 hours of intermittent taping.

I've been using their batteries for some years now and although they are not AB or IDX cells, I don't seem to notice any difference.

Cheers,

JT
James Thirston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Thirston View Post
The basic black box charger they sell for about $50USD is fine if you just want to charge the batteries, however, if you want to also power the camera they have the dual station charger/adapter which is about $130USD. The chargers are the slow type which are better for the batteries (I think) so charging time is the same as drain time, i.e: 4 hour battery takes 4 hours to charge. I go through two 95Watt hour batteries on a full wedding day which is about 5 hours of intermittent taping.

I've been using their batteries for some years now and although they are not AB or IDX cells, I don't seem to notice any difference.

Cheers,

JT
Would this work for a GY-HD100U? Could you use the JVC batery charger to charge these batteries?
Charles Barreto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Barreto View Post
Would this work for a GY-HD100U? Could you use the JVC batery charger to charge these batteries?
Charles, although I don't have the 100 series camera or charger (I use these bigger batteries to power my LED light & steadicam LCD monitor) however, I don't see why you couldn't charge these after-market batteries with the stock JVC charger (they are the same Lithium Ion technology after all), the only difference I see is that the after-market batteries have more cells in them. Try at your own risk.

Cheers,

JT
James Thirston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #7
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,385
Thanks James

Thanks James
I think I'll go for the GlobalMediaPro...I don't understand why they don't accept credit cards though. I'll have to wire money to them somehow and hope they stick to their delivery promise of 5 days (on the invoice).

I think three of their batteries and the two-channel charger they recommend would be more than enough for a whole day's shoot, plus the 40-min joke that JVC provides of course.
__________________
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.
Sareesh Sudhakaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #8
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sareesh Sudhakaran View Post
Thanks James
I think I'll go for the GlobalMediaPro...I don't understand why they don't accept credit cards though. I'll have to wire money to them somehow and hope they stick to their delivery promise of 5 days (on the invoice)
I think they do that because it's a way to keep prices down. Also don't expect too much by way of customer service, however, in the 3+ years I've been dealing with them they have proven to be very reliable with good delivery times - much safer than purchasing stuff on e-bay.

Just a side topic: If you ever decide to buy a camera from them make sure you buy the additional Mack Warranty because your country's warranty scheme will not cover grey imports - GMP are not an authorised dealer of any major manufacturer - another reason why their prices are so competitive.

JT
James Thirston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #9
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,385
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Thirston View Post
I think they do that because it's a way to keep prices down. Also don't expect too much by way of customer service, however, in the 3+ years I've been dealing with them they have proven to be very reliable with good delivery times - much safer than purchasing stuff on e-bay.

Just a side topic: If you ever decide to buy a camera from them make sure you buy the additional Mack Warranty because your country's warranty scheme will not cover grey imports - GMP are not an authorised dealer of any major manufacturer - another reason why their prices are so competitive.

JT
Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely go for this option...looks like I don't have any other choice!
__________________
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.
Sareesh Sudhakaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia
Posts: 253
Just saw these topic.

Likewise, I have been using the global media pro batteries for over a year on my JVCHD111 without any problems. The larger battery is great because it gives more balance. it is a great reliable economical solution - I have better things to spend my money on than batteries.

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #11
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,385
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Castiglione View Post
Just saw these topic.

Likewise, I have been using the global media pro batteries for over a year on my JVCHD111 without any problems. The larger battery is great because it gives more balance. it is a great reliable economical solution - I have better things to spend my money on than batteries.

Rob
Which model number do you recommend? I'm asking you because you mentioned a 'larger battery'. I've almost decided to go for global media pro. Just wanted to reconfirm the model numbers. thanks,
__________________
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.
Sareesh Sudhakaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 06:04 AM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fremantle, Western Australia
Posts: 253
Hi Sareesh,

This is what you need:

Anton Bauer QR-JVC 7/14 HDV Camera Mount Adapter

Then you can use any of the following batteries with this mount (make sure you do not get the V mount batteries by mistake).

I bought one of these:

Globalmediapro Li160A Lithium ion Battery 160WH. Lasts at least 4 -5 hours. Heavier battery which gives good weight. good for shoulder mount. Bit heavy on a tripod.

I got two of these:

Globalmediapro Li95A Lithium ion Battery 95WH. Lasts 2 -3 hours. Lighter battery good on a tripod.

Battery charger:

Globalmediapro SC1 1-channel Mini Charger. At about $60 AUD the cheapest charger in the world. Get two.

The most expensive part of this is the Anton Bauer mount which you may be able to find cheaper elsewhere. All in all about half the cost of other systems and works just as well (I had the IDX system for about two years as well). Still expect to pay about $1,000 AUD.

Cheers

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #13
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,385
Alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Castiglione View Post
Hi Sareesh,

This is what you need:

Anton Bauer QR-JVC 7/14 HDV Camera Mount Adapter

Then you can use any of the following batteries with this mount (make sure you do not get the V mount batteries by mistake).

I bought one of these:

Globalmediapro Li160A Lithium ion Battery 160WH. Lasts at least 4 -5 hours. Heavier battery which gives good weight. good for shoulder mount. Bit heavy on a tripod.

I got two of these:

Globalmediapro Li95A Lithium ion Battery 95WH. Lasts 2 -3 hours. Lighter battery good on a tripod.

Battery charger:

Globalmediapro SC1 1-channel Mini Charger. At about $60 AUD the cheapest charger in the world. Get two.

The most expensive part of this is the Anton Bauer mount which you may be able to find cheaper elsewhere. All in all about half the cost of other systems and works just as well (I had the IDX system for about two years as well). Still expect to pay about $1,000 AUD.

Cheers

Rob
Thanks Robert, but I don't think I have that kind of dough. Otherwise, I might have gone for the IDX or AB. What do you think of this idea:
1. Globalmediapro DC488 Battery (3Nos.)
2. Globalmediapro SCQ2-DC-J 2-channel Quick Charger (1Nos.)
This works out to half the cost. I think the 488 should give about 2.5 hours. So three of them should give me around 8 hours. I can also charge one or two while shooting if I need additional power. Plus I have the 40min 428 from JVC. Will this be enough to cover a whole day's worth of shooting?
Thanks,
__________________
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.
Sareesh Sudhakaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:41 AM   #14
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,385
Thanks James!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Thirston View Post
I think they do that because it's a way to keep prices down. Also don't expect too much by way of customer service, however, in the 3+ years I've been dealing with them they have proven to be very reliable with good delivery times - much safer than purchasing stuff on e-bay.

Just a side topic: If you ever decide to buy a camera from them make sure you buy the additional Mack Warranty because your country's warranty scheme will not cover grey imports - GMP are not an authorised dealer of any major manufacturer - another reason why their prices are so competitive.

JT
Thank you James!
I did order the Global Media Pro batteries, and they work great. Each of them gives me around 4 hours of work, and the charger takes only 4 hours to charge two batteries completely. Plus the batteries have an indicator too.
No complaints, and no issues...except for the customer service...which is basically non-existent. I would recommend GMP to anybody now!
Thanks again. Your suggestion really helped me get through my shoot!
__________________
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.
Sareesh Sudhakaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #15
New Boot
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11
Supplied JVC 2-Channel Charger or Globalmediapro 2-Channel Quick Charger?

Hello Sareesh and other dvinfo members,

I was wondering if you could confirm whether the standard JVC 2-Channel charger works with the Globalmediapro DC488 batteries? And is it necessary to buy the Globalmediapro SCQ2-DC-J 2-channel Quick Charger for the DC488?

Thanks!
Daniel Marr is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network