Filming in HOT and dusty climates - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 7th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Zimbabwe

Yes indeed Stuart, these are interesting times in Zim. We're hoping that we can make it through to the run off, whenever it may be, and kick the old man out once and for all. It's a tough TV story though - there's just not much picture to get, and the authorities are getting a little tricky to work around.

Back on topic: I see from the repair manual for the 111 that the primary heat sink seems to be in the handle. I have to say I've never tried to analyse the heat output from different parts of the camera, so I can't say if that is the only heat sink. But it does suggest that in hot operating conditions, covering the handle would be a bad idea. It might also mean you could get away with putting other protection around the main body of the camera, so long as the handle was not covered.

Dust, sand, grit and lenses definitely don't work together. A colleague was in Afghanistan last year on a two week embed in Helmand. He took a brand new Z1, and junked it when he got back - every moving part was trashed.
Robert Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #17
Major Player

Some good stories here which tell me the gyHDs are tough little pro sumer jobbies! Hope these aren't famous last words! Good to hear they've been to some interesting places.

I've only ever used a 300ap beta camcorder in these sort of places when doing military stuff. That was one hell of of rugged camera, but again, it was only ever the lens that suffered if at all. Focusing was a grindy affair for years after that!

Robert, the heat sink location is interesting to know, where did you see that?? I'll certainly give that some thought. Mind you, it sounds like the camera can cope OK in high temps. I'll have a look and see if there is any 'official' JVC line on maximum operating temperature. I've read their UK article on sending the camera to Antarctica where it performed without problem...slightly different I know!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #18

It seems to me there's a fairly high interest in an electronic cooling solution. If anyone finds any heat rejection data for a camera, I'd be happy to select a TEC cooler solution. These coolers work like those cheap beer coolers you plug into your cigarette lighter in your car.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #19
Major Player

I do like your idea Bill, but my only concerns would be,

How bulky would this unit be?
Would the cooler only end up reducing the additional heat created from the camera being in a box, therefore you end up with no benefit?
How noisy would it be?
Could you still use an on camera mic somehow?
What sort of power source would you need and battery duration?
Would you have enough room to stick on a 35mm adaptor and primes, matte box, rails etc?
Would it fit onto a tripod, as a camera under water would have no need for a tripod...

Questions questions questions!

If none of these questions proves to be a problem Bill, any chance you could get your prototype to me by mid May and I'll gladly test it out for you in a Middle Eastern desert all day long for a couple of weeks.

Now there's a challenge!

Now I do agree there could be some serious demand for a decent cooling / dust and sand protecting system.
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell View Post
I do like your idea Bill, but my only concerns would be,

How bulky would this unit be?

hard to tell until we know the heat load. these coolers are fairly small.

Would the cooler only end up reducing the additional heat created from the camera being in a box, therefore you end up with no benefit?

the cooler would need to be sized with some margin to account for the things like the sun heating the black camera body.

How noisy would it be?

hmmm...good point. depends on whether a fan would be needed or not...again, how much heat are we trying to exhaust?

Could you still use an on camera mic somehow?

no, you'd need to port the mike outside the box

What sort of power source would you need and battery duration?

12v power. depends on whether a fan is needed. fans are BIG power eaters.....maybe a 12v lead acid type battery

Would you have enough room to stick on a 35mm adaptor and primes, matte box, rails etc?

you'd probably need to build your own box...not that hard, I suppose.

Would it fit onto a tripod, as a camera under water would have no need for a tripod...

would need a hefty tripod.

Questions questions questions!

If none of these questions proves to be a problem Bill, any chance you could get your prototype to me by mid May and I'll gladly test it out for you in a Middle Eastern desert all day long for a couple of weeks.

LOL.....not likely as I'll be in Film Editor's school 'til august.

Now there's a challenge!

But, there sure seems to be a need.

Now I do agree there could be some serious demand for a decent cooling / dust and sand protecting system.
see answers embedded in quote
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:01 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Manufacturers limits:

Stuart

The JVC sales brochure for the HD110E/HD111E says the Operating temps are 0 deg C to 40 Deg C; storage -20 to +60. Humidity limits are 30% - 80 % operating, storage 85% max.

I'd guess (from my experience and that of others on this thread) that those are conservative.

Here's a grab from the HD111E repair manual that shows how to detach the heat sink from the handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Filming in HOT and dusty climates-heat-sink.tiff  

Last edited by Robert Adams; April 8th, 2008 at 04:03 AM. Reason: mis-spelling
Robert Adams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems