Weird Reflection on HD200U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 10th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #1
New Boot

Weird Reflection on HD200U

I am getting a reflection coming from the back(inside) of the UV filter on my Stock Fujinon Len, this is my first Fujinon lens and I don't know if this is normal.
The sun is towards the right upper corner of the shot but I am not pointing towards it, I am actually pointing to the pavent , seems that the indirect light that hits the inside of the lens(the flat black rings) is reflecting on the back of the filter.

here is the liknk: http://www.unikphotovideo.com/iWeb/Site/reflection.html

Have anybody had this problem or is this normal?

Thanks,

Manuel
Manuel De Haro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #2
Major Player

What filter are you using? I've fallen for the Hoya HMC filters. Fully Multi coated on BOTH sides. Is your UV filter coated, multi coated, 1 side or both sides????
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #3
New Boot

I am using a Tiffen UV haze 1, but it doesn't specify if it is coated and it is a screw on type.

Manuel
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Major Player

I have this problem as well with my HD100 and the UV filter you use.

Is it possible to get a UV filter that won't reflect like that as crazy
as it sounds?

It has not been a huge problem, but it would be nice to not have.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #5
Major Player

I also use and recommend the Hoya HMC filter. (was reasonable via ebay new). But, using a filter makes you more susceptible to flare and glare issues generally. If hard light is spilling on your filter, your going to be paying for it somewhere in quality, either with loss of contrast or light artifacts. The lens hood only takes care of some situations, sometimes you need something more to block the light. Sometimes, you simply can't shoot at that angle with existing light conditions without problems (unless you like flare!).
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #6
Major Player

It doesn't matter what filter you use, it's still going to happen. The only thing you can do about it is to take out all filters when you see that problem. Or, build a cutsom hood that extends far enough to block the incoming light and shoot around the vingette problem you'll create. I recommend you just take out the filter.
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 02:39 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks guys,

I think I will try to switch to the multicoated filters to see if that minimizes the reflection.

Manuel
Old April 13th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Major Player

After you spend your money on that filter, do us a favor and post how much difference it makes.
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #9
Major Player

It's flare. even removing the filter won't always help. But in MOST situations, someone looking at the lens and light can shade the light falling on the lens without getting in the picture. Lens hoods can be extended ad infinitum without vignetting if they stay clear of the angle of view of the lens.
The "french flag" or adjustable wing on a matte box allows you to adjust shade on the lens (obviously you can get closer if you are not shooting wide-angle).

But an assistant in the field holding a card or big hat works very well. \
In the studio or on a set, use black "flags" on c-stands to block the light.
Shooting straight into bright light sources, you may not be able to prevent it.
But remember there, are some expensive special effects software dedicated to reproducing flare artifacts! You might just like to accentuate that flare in some cases!
Old April 13th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Sean is right. It a flare from a light or glare hitting the lens. It is not unique to any specific camera or lens and cameramen have dealt with it from the beginning. Flag it off.
- Ken
Kennedy Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #11
Major Player

The odd part about it is I NEVER once saw it while shooting with my DVX or GL1 over the years.

The HD100 was the first time I ever saw it.

weird.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #12
New Boot

I think I got it,

I was looking at my other cameras and I noticed that yes, sometimes the sun will hit the inside part of the hood but the actual surface of the hood is non reflective flat black, plus smaller 3 ccd cameras do not have extra rings between the lens and the screw on filters.
On the fujinon lenses for the HD cameras there are several rings that resemble "running tracks" if you will, between the glass and the actual hood.
This is what you see on the picture and if you look closely, the rings are not painted it is just the plastic material and it is quite reflective, I would say it even sparkles when the sun hits it. I will call Fujinon and ask them if painting this rings would affect the lens in any way(wich I doubt) and I will post the results later.

Manuel
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #13
Trustee

you can actually remove that plastic ring that you say resemble "running tracks", because its threaded on. You can remove it and safely paint it if you like. I removed mine to make an achromat for a lens adapter go closer to the front lens element.

I do recomment flags, a "hood extension" or a matte box.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Silva View Post
The odd part about it is I NEVER once saw it while shooting with my DVX or GL1 over the years.
I had problems like this with the GL1 all the time. It due to bright light coming directly into the lens hood, illuminating the lens element mounts, which then reflect on the back surface of the filter. As long as one keeps direct light out of the lens, it's not much of a problem. So, perhaps you never had that situation with your GL1.
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I also have this very same problem of lens reflection. Has anyone come up with a good solution for this? Is a matte box the only answer? I hate not to use a UV filter for protection even part of the time.
Tom Koveleskie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems