JVC Solid State Recorder w/Hard Drive - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 14th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #16
Major Player

It might not be too back heavy for shoulder mounted work. I have had to put a heavy battery on the back to get the right balance - I suppose though it already has a heavy battery and the unit.

I must say that this plethora of different models and different features is getting somewhat confusing. I think I will stick with my trusty jvc hd111 and tape based recording until something truly revolutionary (with a revolutionary price) comes along in a a couple of years.

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #17
Trustee

It wont be too back heavy for me I have a wide angle converter on the lense that weighs about 1.5 lbs.. Id like to see what happens to the JVC deck now.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #18
Major Player

I don't know about how everyone else feels, but i sure wish they would redesign the darn thing already, this camera is getting pretty ugly and pretty long. making it a more compact full size camera would be a lot better than continually making it longer...

Think of this... The JVC200 with their solidstate recorder attached, long life A/B battery, and on the front a cine lens adapter with lens and matte box....
THATS RIDICULOUSLY LONG!!

Start adding stuff to the top of the camera not the back of it JVC, its getting just weird.
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #19
Regular Crew

The proHD camera is looking more like a long weapon instead of a very good looking camera (like it used to be).
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 04:56 AM   #20
Trustee

I can only get new cameras every 5 years or more, I want to make the most of what ive got I dont care how it looks. I'll care in 4 years when im in the market for a new one. On that note I think it was stupid for JVC to release a new camera without this "box" being built in thats clearly the way things are going.
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #21
Major Player

My heart jumped when I saw this post, and then sank when I realised that it states compatiblity with the 200 series only.

I guess the HD100 users will have to go without.

Red Scarlet... interesting

Drew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:22 AM   #22

still not convinced that it won't work on the 100 series.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by George David View Post
The proHD camera is looking more like a long weapon instead of a very good looking camera (like it used to be).
Agreed, but it still looks pretty cool in a long-lean-aggressive-shark kind of way...although I can't count the number of times I've backed into a wall with the camera on my shoulder.

However, this new arrangement for some reason looks much weirder and bulkier than hanging a DR-HD100 in back of the battery, mounted on the secure yet wobbly ABFSKIT2.

But even with the extra front weight of my 17x lens, my rig was totally back-heavy with the DR-HD100 mounted that way, and I ended up moving it to the top, using that newer A/B Firestore mount. But now the rig rolls to the right when it's on your shoulder, unless I mount a light to the hotshoe on a Noga arm and swing the light to the left in order to counterbalance the DR-HD100.

There's apparently just no good place to hang a data recorder on this camera (unless you're strictly on a tripod, in which case any of the above options work fine).
Brent Kolitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I think its great to have a little more weight in the back (when using the 13x or 18x or 35mm adapter set-up). With the 13x on my hd200 the balance center is at the tripod mount, I have to add a large battery or tandem to extend the balance back to the shoulder mount.

Did I miss the price on this? It would be great to record to sd cards because they are getting very close to being as cheap as tape.
Old April 15th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Pugliese View Post
When is someone going to come out with a unit that has Y/Pb/Pr connection that captures 10bit 4:2:2 uncompressed right out of the cameras components... and can run off a battery and not be over 2k?? Now thats something that could change life for me.....

Here here! Somebody will make it soon. Probably Focus Enhancements will come up with it first, though this is a great first step.. though I as well have a IDX battery system. So unless they make a different mount for IDX I am out of the loop as well. But I have a HD-100 DTE Pro now, so I'm not really missing anything.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #26
Major Player

I'm sure the mount and battery type won't be an issues - after all, many of the 200's like mine were sold with IDX batteries. To do 1080i, 200 series cameras will need the upgrade also announced recently.
Justin: the DR-HD100 or firestores run well off the d-tap (or powertap) on either IDX or Anton Bauer systems. The cables are $30, or come included with the mounts. I hate the rig that puts the firestore bouncing around way behind the battery, and opted to make a rig myself out of aluminum sheeting that puts it above the camera - somewhat like the newer AB system, but centrally balanced. Also hyave a tab to mount the lectro wireless receiver.

I suspect this unit will run off external power as well. It will probably be light enough to velcro onto a 3rd party bracket in a number of places.
I haven't had my DR-HD100 for very long. This sounds even more attractive to me. I'm very curious about the price point. Wonder if it's made by focus enhancements (they upgraded firestores now too with wireless logging FWIW)
Old April 15th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #27
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
still not convinced that it won't work on the 100 series.
It apparently will work on the 100 and 200 series, the mount will just have to be mounted differently. Maybe it will just mount on the same type of plate you would use for a DRHD100? It just needs to receive power somehow.

I just got back from the JVC press luncheon and the powerpoint said that it will work with "all" of the prohd cameras. Since it records m2t as well as quicktime it would likely also work on other manufacturer's "HDV" cameras.

Keep in mind that this is just a prototype being shown at the booth, so some design elements could change or be modified by the time the thing is released.
Old April 15th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #28
Trustee

TIm, I know ive never told you this before but I love you man!

Randy
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #29
Trustee

Well is power is a problem and you use IDX you could get a IDX to anton bauer adapter for like $150 then get a anton/bauer back for your 110. It would be like $300 total but considering this box is probably like $1500 (just a guess) it wouldnt be out of the question to spend the extra $$$ if you want it bad enough.
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #30
Trustee

BTW about the size, if you look at the picture its a 250 which has the extra modual that the 110 doesnt have so it wont be as long as it is in the picture for us 100/110 owners. Well maybe mine will because I use the Azden wireless that mounts via Anton/bauer already.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems