The Complete Guide to ProHD DVD (Volume 1) available now - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 7th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #46
New Boot

Order not received yet...

Hi Tim... I ordered a copy of your DVD a couple of weeks ago, and I still haven't received anything... I'm in Greece, which is why it may be taking a while, but I wanted to know if the order has been sent...

I don't know if this is the proper place to contact you, so please excuse me in advance if this is the wrong place to post...

I can't wait till it arrives... Regards,

Nick Papadopoulos
Nick Papadopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #47
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parkes View Post
Is the PAL version any closer to release? I noticed the last few posts are from those in PAL lands... I want to purchase a copy for the camera team, as we have a feature coming up soon and I am sure it will be an invaluable piece of the kit. I know that here in the UK we can usually play NTSC discs, but would be great to have the 'proper' version (especially if it has the bonus content/corrections mentioned previously!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood View Post
^ Aye will second that. I'm sure the NTSC will be fine, but could just about hold on a little longer for the PAL version if around the corner.
Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Nimmo View Post
Aye and I'll third that!
Tim, this is impressive stuff, really very useful indeed. Put me down for a PAL version just as soon as its available - doubtless you will let us all know when to prize open and dust off our PayPal accounts.
I've been cutting spots all summer, working on a TV series full time and was just hired last minute on a big feature so unfortunately the PAL version has been put on the backburner again. It is basically ready to go but I've made some tweaks for the PAL version (including some new content that I will eventually get encoded and uploaded to dvinfo for the benefit of the NTSC customers.) This will require a few days to finish off, but lately I've only been getting about 2 hours of free time a week, which I usually spend on dvinfo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cowherd View Post
Tim,
I have enjoyed your dvd very much. Which camera/framerate did you shoot the stand ups of yourself with?
The whole DVD was shot with a couple HD100 cameras in 720p24. This has made the alternate downconversions to 16x9 NTSC 24p and 16x9 PAL 24p/25p quite painless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Papadopoulos View Post
Hi Tim... I ordered a copy of your DVD a couple of weeks ago, and I still haven't received anything... I'm in Greece, which is why it may be taking a while, but I wanted to know if the order has been sent...
We say to allow up to 4 weeks for international orders because we really never know how long it will take to pass customs and actually be delivered. Some int'l customers in places like Hong Kong or Russia have received theirs in a matter of a few days, others take weeks. If Paypal sends you a message saying 4-7 days delivery it doesn't really mean anything. Airmail is unpredictable, but we haven't lost one yet!
All orders are usually shipped within 24 hours unless the order is placed on Friday or Saturday. My wife handles fulfillment of the orders to make sure they always get out on time!

Cheers,
Tim
Old September 22nd, 2008, 04:24 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Tim, I'm busting to part with my money... no news of the PAL release date yet? They work you too hard; Europe, Australia and PAL-land await!
Stuart Nimmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:15 PM   #49
Wrangler

Quote:
TThey work you too hard; Europe, Australia and PAL-land await!
Ironically I've been working for Brits!
Old September 24th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Ironically I've been working for Brits!
Well there you go, I knew someone must be giving you a hard time... I hope you quoted in sterling Tim. There's a whole chapter there about getting paid in High Def bank notes too, but maybe another time. Anyway, ready when you are Mr. DeMille, keep us posted.

I like my GY-HD201E more and more, and I particularly like the way JVC are bringing out all the goodies for it. It was time that one of the video camera manufacturers came down on our side like this really.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 09:39 AM   #51
Major Player

My boss just bought this DVD for me and I've been watching it this morning. WOW! It is great! I'm learning a heck of a lot! Fantastic job!
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:50 AM   #52
Major Player

My disk arrived with a rather nasty scratch that I figured I could just clean out, but alas, I can't get it to play about 2 key minutes on the section concerning back focus. Hmm. Can I exchange it?
Jason McCormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:04 AM   #53
Obstreperous Rex

Jason, I'll take care of this. Send an email to me with your shipping address to chris at dvinfo dot net.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #54
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Jason, as an anecdote, I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable guy when it comes to cameras. I've shot well more than 20 different models in the past 10 years (some of the models are actually nearly as old as I am at 37 BTW) and while I could have figured out how to use the camera without Tim's DVD, my understanding of the camera and what it can do is 5 fold after watching.

My hat (not that I choose to wear one most days) is off to Tim for producing the DVD in the first place as well as being such a fount of knowledge on here. It was Tim's recommendation that got me to get off the fence and purchase the camera (I now own two of them) from a Canadian retailer that Tim recommended to me and most days I giggle when I think about what I've now got and what I paid a truly unique piece of technology that fits VERY nicely between what the "big boys" are producing these days.

So, in closing, if anyone owns or is thinking about purchasing a 1xx or 2xx series JVC camera and you haven't already picked up the DVD, DO IT. Even this "old dog in spirit" learned SEVERAL new tricks... MAN, I love the advanced menu...
Old October 4th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #55
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McCormy View Post
My disk arrived with a rather nasty scratch that I figured I could just clean out, but alas, I can't get it to play about 2 key minutes on the section concerning back focus. Hmm. Can I exchange it?
I'm sorry about that Jason. It is the first faulty disk I've heard of. I'm sure it is a freak anomaly considering they were professionally replicated (not duplicated) and shrink-wrapped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
...So, in closing, if anyone owns or is thinking about purchasing a 1xx or 2xx series JVC camera and you haven't already picked up the DVD, DO IT. Even this "old dog in spirit" learned SEVERAL new tricks... MAN, I love the advanced menu...
Thanks for the kind words Shaun.
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #56
Major Player

What about HD authoring for blue-ray

So Tim what dose this video have in it for producing and authoring your HD in Blue-ray? Since Apple's plan to add it to DVD Studio Pro is not going to happen anytime soon according to thier recent Quote!
Thanks Gary Williams

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/cnet/2008...57931006631737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
The press release: press

The preview site: http://www.dvinfo.net/prohd
Gary Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Please forgive me if I step back a bit... I understand that Tim is very busy earning a living and may not yet have had time to finish the PAL version of his JVC GY-HD 200 series DVD.

I also understand that there would be more items on the longer PAL version. I'd like to get this DVD soon though as Tim's thoughts and ideas are very worthwhile. The questions are these: what would a PAL user with a 201E(b) need to take into account for both playing the DVD here in PAL Land, (DVD's aren't really PAL or NTSC are they, did I see that the NTSC version isn't tied to North America?), and what differences,if any, are there on Tim's DVD for setting up a 201E to shoot at 25/ 50 for PAL monitoring and use? If there aren't significant differences I would buy the NTSC version at once.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:32 PM   #58
Major Player

Shipping

Ordered the DVD. Can't wait to get it. Do you provide tracking on the orders?
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:53 PM   #59
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Lee Gordon View Post
Ordered the DVD. Can't wait to get it. Do you provide tracking on the orders?
No tracking but the postal services around the world have been surprisingly reliable with airmail. The disclaimer: Allow up to 2 weeks in the U.S. & Canada, 4 weeks international.

Quote:
Please forgive me if I step back a bit... I understand that Tim is very busy earning a living and may not yet have had time to finish the PAL version of his JVC GY-HD 200 series DVD.

I also understand that there would be more items on the longer PAL version. I'd like to get this DVD soon though as Tim's thoughts and ideas are very worthwhile. The questions are these: what would a PAL user with a 201E(b) need to take into account for both playing the DVD here in PAL Land, (DVD's aren't really PAL or NTSC are they, did I see that the NTSC version isn't tied to North America?), and what differences,if any, are there on Tim's DVD for setting up a 201E to shoot at 25/ 50 for PAL monitoring and use? If there aren't significant differences I would buy the NTSC version at once.
There will only be very minor revisions or additions on the forthcoming PAL version, all of which will eventually be uploaded and available for free of charge here at dvinfo.net. There are only two items on the NTSC disc that won't apply to 'E' models and those are 7.5% setup and 2:3/2:3:3:2 pulldown in 60i with NTSC DV mode. I do clearly spell out the differences between the acquisition modes of the PAL and NTSC models so there will be no confusion for 'E' model users.
The DVD was authored as a NTSC region-free disc at 480p24. As far as we know the current version has worked flawlessly in PAL DVD players around the world. (Most PAL DVD players have the NTSC to PAL cross-conversion chip built in.) From a business standpoint it doesn't even really make sense for me to replicate a minimum of 500 PAL 576p25 DVDs for a marginal improvement in picture quality but I hope (cross my fingers) it will pay off if we can get them into educational institutions around the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Williams View Post
So Tim what dose this video have in it for producing and authoring your HD in Blue-ray? Since Apple's plan to add it to DVD Studio Pro is not going to happen anytime soon according to thier recent Quote!
Thanks Gary Williams
I shot & posted everything in 720p24 and I've always considered producing a Blu-Ray version when it was possible for me to author and burn it myself (based on my DVD Studio Pro DVD project.) I doubt the demand will be very high so a replication order would be out of the question. Frankly there are only two sections of the DVD that would really benefit from a 720p demonstration and that would be the detail setting and noise reduction in the 200 series. However I do a 1:1 pixel blowup of the 720p source during the detail section to demonstrate the direct effects of the detail settings on 720p.
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #60
Regular Crew

Thank you Tim, SOLD!

Quote:
There will only be very minor revisions or additions on the forthcoming PAL version, all of which will eventually be uploaded and available for free of charge here at dvinfo.net. There are only two items on the NTSC disc that won't apply to 'E' models and those are 7.5% setup and 2:3/2:3:3:2 pulldown in 60i with NTSC DV mode. I do clearly spell out the differences between the acquisition modes of the PAL and NTSC models so there will be no confusion for 'E' model users.
The DVD was authored as a NTSC region-free disc at 480p24. As far as we know the current version has worked flawlessly in PAL DVD players around the world. (Most PAL DVD players have the NTSC to PAL cross-conversion chip built in.) From a business standpoint it doesn't even really make sense for me to replicate a minimum of 500 PAL 576p25 DVDs for a marginal improvement in picture quality but I hope (cross my fingers) it will pay off if we can get them into educational institutions around the world
Tim, you are a gentleman and a scholar, SOLD as is! SOS! May I ask your advice please? I have a shoot in a few days time using both my GY-HD 201E(B) and my Digital Betacam As I understand it they will both be very static basically locked off and feeding back to remote recorders, the JVC HD201E via firewire and the Digi Betacam via composite out and a Canopus ADVC-100 from composite to Firewire. Not the best combination but we're stuch with that.

Locking Time code..... how to achieve this? I find page 48 of the JVC manual a tad vague. It seems that I can't lock the 201E in anything other than DV mode. I could run Time Of day and clap the head but do you have a more elegant idea? The shoot is an odd one - five hours locked off (should be fun...) How well will the timecode hold do you think, given that they can't remain wired as master/slave units

Thank you Tim - I'm off to buy your DVD!
Stuart Nimmo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems