B&W/Desaturate in camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 26th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

B&W/Desaturate in camera?

Hey guys, I am doing a shoot in a week that the final product will be in black and white. I would just desaturate it in post, except that I am not doing the post. Plus, it would be nice to see how my lighting looks in B&W on my on-set monitor

That being said, I tried tonight to desaturate in camera by turning down the color gain, but that didn't totally remove all the color. Does anyone know if there are other settings I can use with the color gain to desaturate?

Thanks,

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Rogers View Post
That being said, I tried tonight to desaturate in camera by turning down the color gain, but that didn't totally remove all the color. Does anyone know if there are other settings I can use with the color gain to desaturate?
Color Gain will totally desaturate, but you have to turn it all the way down to MIN or OFF.
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Color Gain will totally desaturate, but you have to turn it all the way down to MIN or OFF.
Tried that, but the color yellow was still coming through--at least that's what I was seeing on the LCD.

If I can't get it any more desaturated, then I'll live with that and they can finish the last little bit of desaturating in post, but I'd still like to know exactly what I am giving them.

Matthew
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Matthew -
My camera is totally de-saturated when the color gain is completely down. You could try taking the green channel out of the camera into a monitor and reduce the monitor's color gain, too. This should give you a monochrome pix at any rate.
Ken Maxwell
Kennedy Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #5
Major Player

color gain to off should be 100% without color.

If you see color, something is not right.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Silva View Post
color gain to off should be 100% without color.

If you see color, something is not right.
Humm, worked this time. Must have only gotten it to min instead of off last time.

Thanks,

Matthew
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Can you simply turn down the chroma on your on-set monitor, or does it have a black-and-white mode? The reason I say this is because there are different ways you can desaturate footage in post based on using different color channels that yield results that look more like black-and-white film stocks. It might be nice to have those options in post by shooting in color but monitoring in black-and-white.

Todd Norris
Director of Photography/Editor
Todd Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Norris View Post
Can you simply turn down the chroma on your on-set monitor, or does it have a black-and-white mode? The reason I say this is because there are different ways you can desaturate footage in post based on using different color channels that yield results that look more like black-and-white film stocks. It might be nice to have those options in post by shooting in color but monitoring in black-and-white.
I would do that if *I* was doing the post production on this piece. However, I am not and considering the other stuff I've seen come out of this company, I want to make sure I get them the best possible footage, because they will degrade it quite a bit in post...sigh....

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems