35mm hz-Ca13 equivalent ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 30th, 2008, 04:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

35mm hz-Ca13 equivalent ?

if a 16mm relay lens is possible, what's the problem not doing one 35mm relay to get shorter dof ?
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #2
Major Player

This is very true, I have a feeling that it would need to be longer and larger in diameter for this to be possible... I'm wondering if it would be a problem getting the image upright for that depth though. The optics might be just too much distance and you would end up loosing light with all the lens elements.

It would be great if someone with more knowledge could chime in on this. I have a feeling if it were possible the price would be pretty high considering the optics needed would be extremely high quality.

on a side note, is there someplace to see the difference between the stock lens dof and the adapter that has the 16mm depth? something with side by side comparisons would be so helpful, I heard about the jvc adapter but i never really saw any hd footage from it, and all the small stuff i did see, was quick.

anyone with any info on both topics?
Giuseppe Pugliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I believe optical design limitations restrict these adapter designs to 16mm lenses for 1/3" cameras and 35mm for 2/3" cameras - Angénieux make one for the latter
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #4
Wrangler

Actually... it is the laws of physics that make it unfeasible. (The 35mm to 2/3" version made by Angeniux/Zeiss about 10 years ago is known as the CLA35 - and it cost around $30,000.)

It would be entirely possible to create a 35mm "gate" to 1/3" purely optical adapter. However, because of the optical invariant (lagrange invariant) the maximum usable aperture would be around T5.6. This doesn't even put you into the "sweet spot" range of T4 so there wouldn't be much point as far as shortening depth of field.

The maximum usable aperture on the HZ-CA13U COPLA is T2.8. You can open a high speed PL lens more than T2.8 but there will be no exposure increase or shortening of DoF.

See this post for more info pertaining to the HZ-CA13U, the optical invariant and the possibility of a 35mm version.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

so what on earth could i do to shorten this except buying a Red One ?
http://www.tophos.com/images/jvcm2.jpg

it's a real pain on a wedding :-)
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:52 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Ramahatra View Post
so what on earth could i do to shorten this except buying a Red One ?
You may want to visit our Alternative Imaging forum. There you will find info on all of the lens adapters available: Letus100, Brevis, Redrock Micro M2, P+S mini35, Agus, etc.
There are loads that use the stock Fuji lens as a relay and some that use a proprietary lens as a relay which makes the rig much shorter.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

thank you Tim, you are always helpful.
I will take a look.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems