Noticing my highlights getting red at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 4th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Noticing my highlights getting red

I've noticed that my highlights are leaning toward the red. I've never noticed this before, and although I haven't fully tested it, it seems not to matter what settings I'm using. In my first example, I used Tim D's Cine Wide Lat., in the second, Paolo's TCV.3. Does anybody have any insight as to what might be going on?
Attached Thumbnails
Noticing my highlights getting red-1.bmp   Noticing my highlights getting red-2.bmp  

Old May 4th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Trustee

Joshua,

Generally speaking, your images are ok. But to my eye, i can see that your shooting wide open, either f1.4 or f1.8 up to f2. Is this correct?

If so, and if you are using the stock 16x fujinon lens then be wary since at these apertures the lens exhibit lateral CA and also in highlights you'll see magenta & green fringe.

If you use these apertures, test pointing to a plain white or gray wall. youll notice the top half in a different color from the lower half. One is tinted magenta the other tinted green.

This is not to be confused by SSE which is the vertical line that appears in early hd100 models.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Are you using any filtration

in these shots, I've very annoyingly discovered that if I use my Tiffen polariser and ND that I get a magenta hue. Either filter by their own, no problems, but together it must create some sort of refraction as they're both 4x4 filters in a chrosziel mattebox??
cheers

Adam
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Adam and Ted, thank you for your responses. Unfortunately, I've embarassed myself a little here. While viewing those stills on another monitor, I noticed that the red was no longer in the highlights. I have not yet calibrated my new monitor, and out of the box it seems to be warm.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems