DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   BR-HD50U deck prices in free fall? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/121050-br-hd50u-deck-prices-free-fall.html)

Chris Davis May 6th, 2008 02:45 PM

BR-HD50U deck prices in free fall?

I just happened to notice that not a single one of these decks has successfully sold on eBay in the last month, despite the lowest starting price of $1500. Is everyone moving to hard drive systems? I figure I'll watch prices for a few months and maybe I'll be able to pick one up for under a grand.

Randy Johnson May 6th, 2008 03:09 PM

Man I hope our right, Im not fixing my cameras and a cheap (under $2,000) deck would be perfect!

Chris Davis May 6th, 2008 03:58 PM

Yeah, I'm always sweating everytime I connect the firewire to my HD100U. I think I'd spend $1k on a deck just to sleep better at night.

Randy Johnson May 6th, 2008 04:00 PM

I know you can get a BR-HD50U at B&H for $2,700 new I get a kick of people trying to sell them on Ebay for more than you can buy them new for.

Marion Abrams May 10th, 2008 06:26 PM

I bought one on ebay last month, around $1600.

Alex Humphrey May 11th, 2008 02:06 PM

I switched to the JVC HD100 (Focus Enhancements) drive 100 gigs, and havn't looked back. I only keep tape as a back up for just in case. I can't rationalize a VTR for anything right now.

Jan Van der Heyden May 12th, 2008 04:30 AM

Same thing here, I switched to the FireStore drive with 100 gigs a few months ago because 1) I found it a waste of time capturing the tapes to disk and 2) I had to say a prayer or two before connecting the HD100 to the FireWire...

Once you used the FireStore solution (or other) you'll never look back and when I read that some of you are willing to cough up over a grand for a tape drive when a FS costs less, why even bother ? The FS has so much more to offer, and no, I don't get paid to advertise for them :)

If anyone needs to know more about these, let me know

Jan

Brian Luce May 12th, 2008 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan Van der Heyden (Post 875761)
Same thing here, I switched to the FireStore drive with 100 gigs a few months ago because 1) I found it a waste of time capturing the tapes to disk and 2) I had to say a prayer or two before connecting the HD100 to the FireWire...

Once you used the FireStore solution (or other) you'll never look back and when I read that some of you are willing to cough up over a grand for a tape drive when a FS costs less, why even bother ? The FS has so much more to offer, and no, I don't get paid to advertise for them :)

If anyone needs to know more about these, let me know

Jan

How many of you firestore people still use a tape for back up?

Sean Adair May 12th, 2008 08:15 AM

I use tape for backup, and so do clients that shoot lots with the DR-HD100s. It's saved our a$$e(t)s several times. Not only that, but it's the archive of the footage...... For another open question, how are you guys using ONLY hard drive capture archiving your footage?

I've had the deck longer than the DR-HD100, and I don't regret it for a moment. I'll still shoot tape only much of the time, it replaced my DV deck completely, and I don't EVER want to be dealing with my camera for loading footage or output of edited footage (Yes, THAT is a compromise too, but that's another story!). BTW, although HDV playback from the timeline isn't possible, audio works better for me output through the deck (where I can mix it separately from my system audio), and I can also look at still frames on my HD monitor occasionally for a more accurate color/gamma/detail/composition assessment.

In fact, playing back the tapes on the deck through to my HD display is the best chance for me to really see what I've got. Unless you have a video card, how do you really asses your footage on the computer?

It's kind of amusing that there are several eager people here hoping the desire for the deck will go down - it's a testament itself that it's still desirable. Like the cameras, the 2nd hand market isn't that strong for the decks, but I think anyone doing regular work in ProHD will be happy to put one to use. Used prices will definitely be well under $2000, but don't expect the new list to change soon.

Jan Van der Heyden May 12th, 2008 10:34 AM

Brian : I don't use them anymore. Call me crazy but I have more confidence in the hard drive than the tape. I bought a 1TB external hard drive where I backup all my files, I have used the FireStore for over 100 hours in different weather conditions and it has never failed me...

But I respect Sean's opinion regarding playback on an HD monitor, he sure has got a point there.

Jan

Carl Martin May 12th, 2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Adair (Post 875827)
I use tape for backup, and so do clients that shoot lots with the DR-HD100s. It's saved our a$$e(t)s several times. Not only that, but it's the archive of the footage...... For another open question, how are you guys using ONLY hard drive capture archiving your footage?

I've had the deck longer than the DR-HD100, and I don't regret it for a moment. I'll still shoot tape only much of the time, it replaced my DV deck completely, and I don't EVER want to be dealing with my camera for loading footage or output of edited footage (Yes, THAT is a compromise too, but that's another story!). BTW, although HDV playback from the timeline isn't possible, audio works better for me output through the deck (where I can mix it separately from my system audio), and I can also look at still frames on my HD monitor occasionally for a more accurate color/gamma/detail/composition assessment.

In fact, playing back the tapes on the deck through to my HD display is the best chance for me to really see what I've got. Unless you have a video card, how do you really asses your footage on the computer?

It's kind of amusing that there are several eager people here hoping the desire for the deck will go down - it's a testament itself that it's still desirable. Like the cameras, the 2nd hand market isn't that strong for the decks, but I think anyone doing regular work in ProHD will be happy to put one to use. Used prices will definitely be well under $2000, but don't expect the new list to change soon.

Same here Sean.

Randy Johnson May 12th, 2008 03:43 PM

I trust Harddrives more than tape drives but I dont trust Firewire as far as I can throw it.

Sean Adair May 14th, 2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Johnson (Post 876083)
I trust Harddrives more than tape drives but I dont trust Firewire as far as I can throw it.

Can't escape the firewire cable with these cams in any practical field workflow.... It's a short dedicated path to these remote recorders, but with tape at least you have the option of trying until you get it right.

I will say that the biggest issues I've had with the DR-HD100 come from using the sync mode and recording both tape and drive simultaneously. I've gotten tricked into thinking the DR was capturing when only tape was running by only looking at the record light, viewfinder marker, and changing timecode. One time this came about because I changed to a stored preset which didn't have the correct sync setting, and didn't notice that I'd disengaged the DR trigger (look for the ieee 1394 trigger notice!). Another time the drive was powered down, and it simply wasn't noticed.

There was a scare, when we had a DR go bad to the extent where it took hours to transfer the footage at an extremely slow rate. But everything did move over, and although reformatting the drive didn't help the issue it was fixed under warranty within a week.

Steven Moreno May 14th, 2008 03:19 PM

I just recently bought a used HD-100 from a friend for very cheap, knowing that the firewire jack is not working at all. I was told that it would be $2000 to fix/replace it....so I am also waiting for a drop in deck price.

I did shoot, for most of 2007, with an HD-250 onto firestores. We shot on tape as back up, luckily, because we occasionally encountered corrupt file on the firestore. Firestores are great but one definitely needs to be paying attention to them. I noticed that if you hit the power button (even if the unit is locked) the power would cycle.

Randy Johnson May 14th, 2008 05:37 PM

In case anyones interested I am currently working with a engineer to help me fix my Firewire issues. He is a old seasoned bench tech but doesnt have any experiance with JVC. So far he hasnt been able to nail it down but when he does(im letting him use my camera as a ginney pig) he will be able to fix them for about $800 or less. I will keep you all informed.