DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Steadicam for JVC HD110 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/121091-steadicam-jvc-hd110.html)

Neil Rostance May 7th, 2008 03:11 AM

Steadicam for JVC HD110

Big apologies if this has been heavily discussed....i just wondered if there was any recent topics of conversation on steadicam options for the ProHD range.

Is it restricted to a few models or do our cameras fit most rigs?

I've been told steadicam Flyer is a safe bet. I'm experienced as an operator and mostly handheld, but should i be hiring a specific steadicam operator or do you guys thing I could be ok given half a day to practice?

Advice much appreciated!

Jim Boda May 7th, 2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Rostance (Post 873351)
Big apologies if this has been heavily discussed....i just wondered if there was any recent topics of conversation on steadicam options for the ProHD range...

I was just thinking about that question myself as I was glancing through the latest B&H catalogue.

Looks like Glidecam has a new system coming out for the 20 lb range...the X-22.

Paolo Ciccone May 7th, 2008 09:14 AM

Hi Neil.

Yes, the Flyer is more than adequate for the HD100/250. I used it also with the XDCAM, which is much bigger than the HD100 and it fits the ProHD cameras just fine. Regarding the training, there is no way you can learn Steadicam in 1/2 day. If you take a typical 2-day class, Peter Abraham is great, you will be able to get half-decent, not to wobbly, shots. It takes months of practice in order to get good.

Diogo Athouguia May 7th, 2008 03:23 PM

I have a Slideman Pro and it's fabulous. I've been using it everyday on a documentary with a digibeta for the last two months ... the result is as good as it would be with a more expensive unit. It is better than the flyer... but it's not a Steadicam.

Neil Rostance May 8th, 2008 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone (Post 873463)
there is no way you can learn Steadicam in 1/2 day. If you take a typical 2-day class, Peter Abraham is great, you will be able to get half-decent, not to wobbly, shots. It takes months of practice in order to get good.

I've never really thought about the training actually, i was always under the misunderstanding that it's easier to operate with a rig as it would take away any technique you've already got. How very wrong! Thanks for the tip.

Neil

Charles Papert May 8th, 2008 10:46 AM

Operating a rig is an entirely new technique; while prior handheld and conventional operating experience will always be a boon as the concepts of framing and composition are translatable, the mechanics of getting a stabilizer to fly level and manage the inertial forces is indeed a long-time skill (and thus commitment).

Diogo Athouguia May 8th, 2008 04:40 PM

Charles, I admire your work.

Charles Papert May 8th, 2008 05:46 PM

Thanks Diogo!

Glad you are enjoying your Slideman. I am however curious about your statement that "it's better than a Flyer...but it's not a Steadicam". By definition the Flyer is a Steadicam, of course. While the Flyer is certainly lower-capacity weight-wise, it's hardly a crippled rig; the performance of the gimbal and especially arm is very good and essentially unmatched by the competition. I have not had the opportunity to see a Slideman in person but I have yet to encounter a third-party arm (outside of the PRO, which I own) that can match the performance characteristic of the Flyer arm.

Diogo Athouguia May 8th, 2008 06:42 PM

Charles, I didn't explain my self. The Flyer is an excelent rig but has a low weight capacity, I'm not saying that the Slideman's performance is better... but the arm is stronger and the rig is heavier so it has some advantages. What I mean is that you can spend the same amount of money on a rig that will handle heavier cameras and will give you more stability, but it won't be a Steadicam. I decided to buy a more affordable rig so I could buy a Handsfree-Transporter and be the only one in Portugal having one... and fortunatly I'm having a lot of work because of that, I wouldn't make a difference if I was just another steadicam operator. On the other hand I needed a rig that could support not only my JVC cameras but also the Digibetas from the TV broadcaster who I work for. My goal is to buy a Steadicam someday, but for now my rig is doing a great job...

Sorry for getting out of topic.

Charles Papert May 9th, 2008 11:15 AM

Makes sense.

Congrats on the hands-free, did you get the original version with the pedals? I tried that out a couple years back at NAB. I heard the new one was a hit at this year's show.